Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home corrupted on C-Drive (opens only in safe mode); D-Drive okay

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Postmicrosoftism

Postmicrosoftism

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:42 PM

I will assume that my problem is unique, i.e., that there are no previous postings on this precise topic. First of all, I am certain that I "corrupted" my C-Drive myself, when I aborted a format that was in progress. I give Bill Gates all the blame for this, however, for not making the onscreen instructions 100% unambiguous (MS needs competition that will scorch their short & curlies, which is what I hope will happen when Chrome OS arrives).

You see, I had my Dell recovery CD in the DVD player while this was going on, because I had tried to reinstall using the recovery CD, and when that wouldn't work (because the recovery CD was SP2 and I had downloaded and installed SP3 in the meantime - the installation program informed me of this snag), I went to MS DOS and tried to reformat there. Fdisk is no longer available (I used to format that way with Win 3.11, 95 & 98), so I can't recall how I finally got to where I thought I wanted to be, but I think that I just wrote in "format C: /s" in the command prompt, which is what my old MS DOS 6.22 manual says, but it returned "bad command" (I believe), so I tried (I believe) "format C:". Whatever I did, it seemed to work, because it asked for a "Y/N" confirmation, which I complied with ("Y").

For a moment there, I was happy, but when I confirmed, my CD ROM drive began to whir, and that scared the heck out of me, because I feared that I was erasing the danged thing (during installation, drive numbers seem to get blown to smithereens). After that, all I could get was a blue screen when I tried to open C-Drive normally, together with the error message below. I realized, only long after, that I might have had more luck had I tried to reformat the C-Drive via My Computer (right click) > Manage > Disk Management (under "Storage"). I tried this later, because I remembered that this is precisely how I reinstalled using my Dell recovery disk only about 3-4 months ago. Alas, too late.

I think that my problem is made hairier by the fact that MS fixes it so that the two drives are not independent, they are meshed, with the C-Drive always being the main drive, though I think that it was designated "system" while the D-Drive was designated "boot". Each of my HDDs are partitioned, btw, with a small system file drive (C & D, respectively) and a larger data file drive (E (belonging to C), and F).

Now, when I go into Disk Management, all the drives except for C-Drive can be formatted, but maybe that is only because I have now corrupted my C-Drive, because of the commenced, then aborted, format session. Why in the heck (I would normally use much stronger language, but do not wish to have this rejected because of "rich text" :)) does Bill Gates think that the CD ROM drive should kick in when the command to format the C-Drive is given?! With no competition, moss collects on the brain...

I should also say that afterwards, I deleted SP3 on C-Drive (like I say, I can access C-Drive easily, but only in safe mode), then tried to install all over again, both via "format C:" and via Disk Management, but nothing works. I think that the solution is first to get the current installation up and running, then reformat anew via Disk Management, but I am not sure that this is possible, if the C-Drive is the main drive.

The reason I reformatted about 3-4 months ago is because I installed the new HDD, and for some reason, things would not install well. I think that I got thrown off track because the installation message confused me, so I ended up reformatting the C-Drive in order that I could install and format the new HDD as well. Maybe even the system got the importance of these two drives switched around, due to the sequence in which I ended up formatting and installing XP Home, which sequence I can no longer remember, alas! Now, things are pretty much an ugly mess!

Here is the error code that accompanies the blue screen: STOP: 0x0000007E
(0x0000005, 0xBA387184, 0xBAD06D44, 0xBAD06A40).

H e l p ! ! !

Postmicrosoftism

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users