Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Repair Installation for Windows XP Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1776blues

1776blues

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

My nephew's computer was infected with the Packed.Win32.TDSS.aa virus. I searched for fixes but all of them applied to being able to log into the Computer.

So, I decided to use my old Windows XP disk to do a repair installation not knowing that it would change the product key. I still could not log in safe mode or normal mode. I finally found an option to create a bootable virus disk using Avira. This cleaned the infecion but I could only boot into safe mode. I could not boot into normal mode because it wanted me to activate Windows which is due to the previous reinstallations I did on my old computer. I am trying to avoid this because I really don't want to give away my Windows XP disk.

I have since read that the product key on the back of my nephews eMachine is a generic one the manufactures use. I tried to do a uninstall but it does not show a previous installation.

I had a bad feeling about the repair installation and should have taken more time to look for options to clean it.

The model number is a T2742.

So here is my question; Can I delete the activation key in the registry and could the fact I can only log into safe mode be the reason I cannot find a back up installation?

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by 1776blues, 29 January 2010 - 06:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

That eMachine may have recovery partition.
Try pressing F11 key at eMachine logo.
Be aware, that all data will be lost and the computer will return to its original state.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:38 AM

If the computer has a recovery partition as mentioned by Broni, it should give you an option to repair.
If it doesn't, you and your nephew will have to decide if you want to do a full restore and lose everything on the computer.

#4 1776blues

1776blues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:50 AM

That eMachine may have recovery partition.
Try pressing F11 key at eMachine logo.
Be aware, that all data will be lost and the computer will return to its original state.

I will check it out as for the data that is on his computer I don't think it is much. He was prepared to do a format if he had to! Thanks for the replies will ley you know what happens!

By the way the website name is pretty cool. However, in my case it may should be bleepining computer operator. I had that awful feeling as soon as I hit that repair installation option that I made a mistake!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

You aren't alone. All of us have had our computer OOPS moments.
Think of it this way: all those OOPS contribute to our learning curve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users