Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Hanging up Possible explorer.exe issue?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 eutechnyx

eutechnyx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hi, Im new to this site as far as a registered user but ive been here quite a few times,my issue is my computer keeps hanging up randomly especially when it idles for a few minutes. I noticed today that when it hangs up after idle if I wait about 1 minute or so the computer will respond partially,and by partially I mean I can still click start menu and open ctrl alt del and end processes BUT the performance tab shows no activity and doesnt respond to any activity. Today when it happened I was able to end task on explorer.exe and the computer was ok and as soon as i opened a new task through task mgr and ran explorer.exe it froze again instantly. I also tried to experiment by closing explorer.exe and leaving the computer idle for a couple hours with success and I opened explorer.exe up and it still didnt freeze. Im trying to figure out how to fix this issue without a format,also to add Ive had a fresh format for about 2 months now with absolutely no issues and hardware temps are great so I know its not that. Ive tried uninstalling recently installed software with also no success,and It also happened alot when I would exit rollercoaster tycoon 3 so i uninstalled that and the same issue occurred.Thanks in advance guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eutechnyx

eutechnyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

Also to add,It did this with SP1 so i updated to SP2 and the issue was still there.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

Error messages?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors meriting attention?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If a particular program produces hanging consistently...that program probably is damaged and needs to be uninstalled, then reinstalled.

Louis

#4 eutechnyx

eutechnyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

In event viewer Im not receiving any errors before or after the freeze,Im pretty much stumped.I did another test again with explorer.exe terminated and left the computer on for about 7 hours at idle and the computer didnt freeze,started explorer.exe back up and things were good but before that I had explorer opened and after 15 mins of idle i came back and it was locked up. explorer.exe is surely the problem here,is there anything I can do to repair the service file?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

Well...explorer.exe is basic Windows, assuming that Task Manager reflects only one instance and it is the legit file.

It could be damaged, in which case running sfc /scannow or doing a repair install might correct the damage.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

A typical error with such a basic file seems like it ought to generate an error report of some type.

Louis

#6 eutechnyx

eutechnyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:15 AM

I ran the sfc and it didnt say it needed to repair any files. I also agree with you that there should be SOMETHING in eventview but no errors :thumbsup: thanks

#7 eutechnyx

eutechnyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:22 PM

Any other suggestions? I cant understand this! Im about to just format it again but I dont really want to.

#8 eutechnyx

eutechnyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

Well...no luck on this issue yet.

#9 eutechnyx

eutechnyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:15 PM

Ok,so today with explorer.exe closed it STILL hung up and I had to restart,so I'm guessing a format is to come?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

I can't tell you anymore than I have previously.

If I thought that I had an issue with Explorer, I would have done a repair/clean install by now. Explorer is the side of Windows I am most familiar with, so a problem with it is like a problem with Windows XP.

When I have unknown, unresolveable problems with XP...I go to clean install mode. There is far too much malware out there for me to waste my time trying to troubleshoot what issues may be caused to my O/S by such. And...if it isn't a malware issue (I don't have those), then it's either a hardware or O/S issue.

A clean install gives me a better chance of pinning the tail on the donkey in an expeditious manner.

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users