Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless XP Installation Loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slycer

slycer

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

I'm having a problem with a friend's computer. It is an old eMachines T1220 w/ a 1.2Ghz Celeron. I have just installed a new 80GB Maxtor HDD, and am attempting to install Windows XP Home Edition. I changed the boot sequence to read off the CD-ROM first, and the preinstallation files have loaded fine from the disc. My problem is that when the computer reboots, it goes right back into loading the preinstallation files. I have never seen it say "Press any key to boot from the CD." It goes right to "Windows is checking your system's configuration..." or something to that effect. Anyway, when the computer reboots, if I take the CD out of the drive, and let it go straight to the HDD, it says "Operating System not found." If anyone out there can offer some advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

What medium are you using to attempt this install?

Did you delete all partitions/structures on the drive...before attempting the install?

The only time that I've ever seen an attempted install skip the F8 acceptance (which is key)...it was something weird like the CMOS battery or a RAM issue or a slipstreamed CD that I had not burned correctly (it only happened once and I don't remember just what I did to overcome it). I have multiple disks so it may have been that.

I would first check to see if the BIOS recognizes the hard drive...then I would run a diagnostic on the hard drive.

After having done that to satisfy myself that the drive is properly recognized and in working order...I would insert the XP CD and attempt the install.

It wouldn't hurt to clean the CD used either (plain water, soft cotton cloth (T-shirt), do not rub in circular or oval motion, strainght lines across surface of disk.

Louis

#3 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Its not the F8 acceptance that it is skipping. It is the "Press Any Key to Boot from CD" it is skipping right after POST.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

It only skips that if it cannot detect another bootable device. I would start with Louis's suggestions with the battery, BIOS setup, and hard drive diagnostics
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

Normally, I would do as you say. But this computer did this with two different hard drives. One of them was brand new out of the box. Both hard drives work fine in other computers. Its just that when they are put into this black hole of a desktop that I have issues. The BIOS battery was replaced with three different ones, it did the same thing with all three. Four, technically, if you count the original battery. The only other thing I did not try was to flash the BIOS with a floppy.

#6 slycer

slycer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

I have a little bit of an update. I am going to try a PCI IDE controller card. I waded back into this pit of despair that some would call a computer, and this time, when I checked BIOS to make sure it was booting from the CD first, the BIOS didn't even list the hard drive. So, I'm going to see what happens if I use the IDE controller card. I'll update you more when I know. Thanks again.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

Sounds like your using IDE drives? Is the hard drive on it's own channel or is it sharing with another device? Have you double triple checked the jumpers for master/slave or perhaps you have one of the weird computers that doesn't like anything other than Cable select?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users