Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Application Not Found Error" in Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oliviajade

oliviajade

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

Hi, I'm running a Toshiba Satellite, less than a year old. When i tried to use it today, I found myself unable to open many programs, including Skype. When l would try to open Mozilla Firefox, a window would pop up saying "Open With" and then give a list of recommended programs, as well as allowing me to "Browse..." for a different program to open it with. It calls Mozilla Firefox firefox.exe. This is the computer's reaction when I try to open most folders, and as long as I select the same program in the "Open With" window as the one I was originally trying to open, it will work. However, some programs, like Skype, will only pop up with an error window saying "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe Application not found", so there is no way to open those programs that I have found. I'm currently running a virus scan, although this doesn't seem like any virus I have ever encountered. I am running Symantect Anti-Virus protection, which I believe is owned by Norton. Someone on another site said this might be a firewall problem. If so, how do i fix my firewall? ANY advice is appreciated. Thank you so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Right-click on task bar, select Task Manager. In Task Manager, select File > New. Type cmd.exe and press OK.
In the command prompt, type the following pressing Enter after each line.

ftype exefile = "%1" %*
assoc .exe=exefile

Better do copy-paste. To paste in command prompt right-click and select paste. After this restart.

Edited by Romeo29, 30 January 2010 - 07:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users