Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Living Dead Sound Card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rehdjac

rehdjac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

Forgive me if this is an incorrect forum. It crosses the line between internal and external devices.

What the heck? Ok, so here's my order of events. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Power source fan on Dell XPS 400 started to chug.

- Took to shop to replace power source. They called me later to say they couldn't get it out (Dell issue) how about they just replace fan. Didn't know you could do that, said, sure!

- Got computer home, wouldn't even boot up. Took back, fiery mad. They said, "worked when it left here, your problem not ours". Of course they're lying I thought! (Was wrong turns out.) They discuss my problem a bit, I can hear them. I am 100% positive I heard them talk about something to do with my sound card when trying to ferret out my power source. Talk ends. Dude asked if I had an HP printer with slots to receive memory cards. I do. Said, "I bet it runs here, let's hook it up". They did, it worked. Told me to take it home, not to plug in the printer, take memory card out, plug printer back in.

- Did just that. Computer works! Hey, what's this? No sound! Their conversation filters back to me, mentioning my sound card. I call them back and let them know what's going on. They flat out deny anything to do with the sound card. Pissed? Yes. But fed up. Figure it's an old computer, near dead, I don't play games anymore, not a big deal.

- Turns out, a computer without sound is kind of a big deal. Kids can't enjoy NASA videos, family clips are lame, etc...

- About 6 months passes.

- We stumble upon USB sound cards. From China. They cost like $4. Including shipping. From China. What the hell?

- Three weeks pass. Get the thing. No manual, in fact, no documentation of any kind besides the words, "True Plug and Play" on the front. Ok, so, plugged in.

- Expect nothing, get nothing. Works as head phone jack however. Poorly. So, kind of cool, and worth the $4.

- Still, might as well give it the college try so I goof around with the audio settings, see if there's a new driver for it. None. Go through MS help system online. Nothing. Think, well, maybe the old sound card is interfering with the new? (Keep in mind I know nothing at all about computers.) So, I disable the old sound card. It occurs to me now, might be helpful to know what it is: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM). Whatever that means. That doesn't work.

- So it's a bust, but I've got a headphone jack. Better off than we were. I unplug it and put it in the drawer, and head to kitchen to do dishes. My 18 month old crawls into my chair as I leave.

- I'm talking to my first born when out of the office comes the loudest damn Windows (XP) "BA-dunk". I think oh that baby, he's messing with compu... OH MY GOD SOUND!

- Sure enough, sound. Glorious, long unremembered, sound!

- Recap: Chinese USB thing, un-plugged. Sound card, disabled. Sound coming from speakers. It's a miracle! Do not question the miracle. Just go with it.

- Watch videos, play some games. It's like the turn of the last century and I'm watching a talkie for the first time.

- You know those dreams when you win the lottery start to surface realize it's too good to be true and it won't last? I thought last night, "I wonder if the sound will work tomorrow".

- It doesn't. I retraced the steps. Turned the sound card back on, shoved in the USB thing. Took it out. Turned the sound card back off. Etc... When the USB thing is plugged in my control panel lists "USB DEvice" as the default sound card. When I take it out, and the Audigy is disabled, it lists "Sigma Tel Audio CODEC".

- Nothing, however, makes the sound come back.

There's my tale of woe. Weird huh? Or maybe it's not. Maybe one of you immediately thought, "Hell, why haven't they just flipped this switch?" I hope so. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

One idea. Don't use a sound card. Try the onboard sound, which is integrated into your motherboard.
Plug your speakers into the integrated sound ports, see if you have sound.
If not post back here.

Or we can find out if your Creative card is dead. Put your Creative card back in. If you have a disk for the drivers, install the drivers. If you don't:

RIGHT click on My Computer icon on your desktop. Click Manage.

Computer Management will open, click Device Manager.

Look for a category called OTHER.
Your sound device should be listed there if the drivers are not installed.
HIGHLIGHT the device name, RIGHT click, and choose UPDATE Driver.

When the Update Wizard opens, choose No, not this time. Click Next.

At this point I'm going to list what you should check in each screen, obviously you click Next after each choice.

Install from a list or specific location.

Don't search, I will choose the driver to install.

Uncheck Show Compatible Hardware.

A list will appear, choose Creative. Another list will appear which lists Creative devices, if you see yours listed choose it, click next, and the drivers will install.

If it isn't listed, you could try one, see if that works, if it doesn't try another one.
I can't recall if there may be listings for the series, such as Audigy. If there is you could try one of those.

You'll know if it was a successful install by going back to Sounds and Audio settings in Control Panel and it shows up there.

If it does, and you still have no sound, post back. There is an additional step that can be done that doesn't involve any type of installation.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 January 2010 - 04:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users