Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"My documents" folder opens on startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:38 AM

The my documents folder always opens on my desktop PC, anyone know how this started or more importantly how to fix it.

Im running windows XP Prof.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hello!
Your problem is probably a corrupted registry file.
Please hit Start and then hit run

Type in the blank regedit and hit OK

Navigate to HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon

Look for the value named Userinit

It probably looks like this: C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

If you do see a duplicated string in there similar to the above - simply double click on the Userinit value and edit the data so as to delete everything to the right of the first comma (,). In the case above you would leave only:

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Exit registry edit and reboot. No more My Documents!

Hope this helps!

#3 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:28 PM

that seems like it would solve the problem, but when i click on ok in the run window, it pops up then automatically closes

any ideas on this one?

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:25 PM

Do you have any other problems with programs not staying open? Can you right click on the taskbar and hit task manager or hit CTRL+ALT+delete at the same time and it should bring up task manager. Just seeing if task manager can stay open.

Please run a online virus scan with trend micro and tell me if it finds anything.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I think you may have a virus since they target the task manager,regedit and msconfig.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users