Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista windows crashed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andy007007

andy007007

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hi
Im having problems with BOD at startup. Cant get into restore mode or boot the recovery disks from cd but can use the flash drive usb to check for viruses etc with Kaspersky loaded from my desktop pc. I have updated the laptop daily for updates etc and Im not sure but think I was getting an update from MS when all went belly up.
My 6 mnth old acer is the one with the fault.
I did make recovery disks just after purchace but cd drive runs but wont pick up info from disks. I can get into Command Prompt via the advanced options but not into Safe Mode without it shutting down-restarting - BOD and so on.

2 Questions if I may.

As I seem to be able to run from the BIOS changing the boot up to usb and running Kaspersky, could I use my vista desktop to copy the recovery CDs to the flash drive and try recovery from there? If so, how?

2 As I can get into the command prompt, could I run windows via that or at least copy the files such as our wedding pics and other docs to a flash drive, and again, if so how.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any help

Regards
Andy007007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:49 PM

hello
see if this helps... best of luck... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...-command-prompt
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 andy007007

andy007007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply. Nope.. didnt do a thing. I can get the ' x:\windows\system32>_ ' prompt and get into regedit and dir and change to run the cd but the command did nothing. Is there another one for Vista or is it possible to copy the cd to flash and do it that way?

Thanks
Andy

Edited by andy007007, 29 January 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#4 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

hello

There are ways of doing the flash drive thing, but its over my head..... good luck... http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

I did make recovery disks just after purchace but cd drive runs but wont pick up info from disks

Explain, please.
I assume, you don't worry about your data?
What computer brand is it?
Did you try recovery partition?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 andy007007

andy007007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

Hi Broni

First thing I tried was the partition. I would love to keep the files as some pics that went on didnt get to the normall weekly copy to cd routine. \\\\\\\\\\\\i can get into a route dir with Kaspersky scanner which is on a mem stick but that it.

Thanks for your advice and lets hope there is a way..

Regards Andy007007

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

Well, if you can't boot in any way and you want to get some data off of the drive, your best option, would be to slave the hard drive in another computer to get your data (alternatively, you could use USB hard drive enclosure).
Keep in mind, your computer is 6 months old, so you don't want to do anything to void the warranty.
Also, since it's still under warranty and it throws BSODs on you, it may be good idea to have it checked by manufacturer anyway.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users