Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't extract antivirus files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nicenic61

Nicenic61

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Folks,

Running XP. Whenver I try and install free security software off the internet, tried all sorts including Spbot, AntiMalewarebytes, Google etc. or even Norton Systemworks from a disk, or even my ISP free antivirus software, the install gets so far and then there is always, always an error on extracting some files. On spybot, for example, it says 'error extracting TTLASSH.sbs or something like that. Consequently I am unable to upload any anti-virus software.

Also, I have a dodgy hard drive. Systemworks, running from the CD, says I have bad security descriptors but these never seem to get fixed, even on reboot.

Computer seems to run fine apart from this, not infected, internet quite fast. Get the odd bluescreen crash but that's down to the dodgy hard drive.

I really would like to install some anti-virus and spyware software, any help appreciated.

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

TTLASSH.sbs or something like that

Need to know the exact wording of any errors
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

Have you tried running the chkdsk /r command? Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen and hit Enter. Reboot the system. Command will execute before booting into XP automatically when done.

You have Norton Systemworks installed? What version (year and edition)? Does that include an AV program?

Do you have two AV programs installed?

System manufacturer and model?

How large is C:? How much free space currently?

Louis

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

The TTLASSH.sbs is a Spybot file,usually part of it's Teatimer function.

I suggest un and Re installing spyBot and re immunize.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Nicenic61

Nicenic61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hmmm....did the chkdsk thing (done it many times before)....then I ran checkitdiagnostics program, no faults, first time it's ever said that....then I ran it again later, came back with faults. Got rid of all my old spyware and antivirus folders. Managed to download Malwarebytes and it removed several spythings...but then it stopped running (fault 730). After several tries managed to download it again, no spyware this time. But then it won't re-run (fault 730 again).

Back to square one. Still can't download any programs whatsoever, always get an extraction error, whatever it is, tried on many free antivirus and spyware sites. Won't download a free virus checker from my business bank ('extraction error', as usual). Won't download free video conversion programs etc. and so on and on and on.

This computer is getting seriously old now and I'm thinking of simply getting rid....too much hassle and I'm not too keen on running without spyware and anti-virus.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Nicholas

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

Well...I would remove Norton Systemworks as a start...and I would also remove Checkit Diagnostics.

IMO, these types of programs are possibly making modifications to your system...each uses its own criteria for doing such...and they may be in conflict.

IMO, there is nothing that either of these programs adds to an XP install that justifies the install effort.

Then...I would run chkdsk /r on the boot/system partition...and see how the system behaves.

I would leave Malwarebytes installed and I would supplement that with installation/update/use of SUPERAntiSpyware.

<<...tried on many free antivirus and spyware sites. Won't download a free virus checker from my business bank ('extraction error', as usual). Won't download free video conversion programs etc. and so on and on and on.>>

I'm fairly sure that this type of behavior...does not contribute to system stability. I can't tell from what you have posted...but you should never run two AV programs at the same time...again, possible conflicts.

I would suggest that install one reliable AV program, update same, and use it routinely. If you decide to experiment with a different AV program, then properly uninstall the one you have currently installed...before installing a second.

The same sort of logic applies to using two different firewalls at once.

Louis

#7 Nicenic61

Nicenic61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

Folks,

Removed all old traces etc, norton, old virus stuff. Managed to download Superantispyware and Malewarebytes and they both update ok. Wouldn't download AVG anti-virus, got the usual 'file extraction error' or 'corrupt database' or whatever. Couldn't download Mozilla Firefox, similarly 'corrupt database' or something like that when it goes into the final data extraction process.

There is clearly something that is interfering with certain file downloads. Any more ideas or should I get the ax (or axe in UK English....)

Nicholas

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Is there any data on the drive that is valuable?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

IMO...file extraction errors are possibly indicative of an O/S that needs maintenance (chkdsk /r and defrag).

The system probably needs it anyway...if you uninstalled the aforementioned programs.

Louis

#10 Nicenic61

Nicenic61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Folks,

Did the diskcheck, didn't need defragging.

Managed to download Superantispyware and Malewarebytes. Superanti is still running but Malewarebytes now gives error 730.

Still can't download much else, get the usual 'corrupt file' or something like that.

Quite often get the blue screen of death with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message and other deaths that result in Microsoft tellilng me to check my drivers, but there's nothing wrong with them.

Any ideas would be appreciated although I'm still seriously thinking of getting the ax out.

Nick

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

Clean install.

With as much malware found as you have...I don't see how you could consider anything else.

You might also consider changing your computer habits, if you want a system that you can trust.

Louis

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

==============================

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

Since we don't know exactly which infections we're dealing with here, we should take some precautions before we attempt to move files from the infected machine. Run the following on your clean computer, and make sure you insert your flash drives at the prompt.
Download and Run FlashDisinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users