Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Have I Lost Windows 7??? Whats Happend

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Freak91

Computer Freak91

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

Hello i am new here and was brought here by a friend. this i what has happended

i had a dual boot with windows vista and windows 7 it worked perfectly

when i on my laptop i used to get a option on what os to go vista or 7

i then restored my vista to factory settings

then i looked in my hardrive and and i hadd all of my windows 7 files

BUT when i on my laptop it goes striaght to vista and doesnt give the windows 7 option why is this?? i have got all the files for windows 7 on my othere hard drive

has this got to do with the fact that i restored my vista to factory settings

how do i fix this and get both os s at the start up and get a dual boot

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:23 AM

When you did the factory restore, it wiped the Vista partition (not the whole hard drive) and put Vista back on it as if it had just come from the factory. The Windows 7 was left intact, but the bootloader does not look there for an OS to boot into (don't worry, it can be fixed).

To make sure this is the case, please perform the following actions:

Type the following into the Start Menu, and hit Enter:

diskmgmt.msc

Maximize this Disk Management window, then take a screenshot using this tutorial. Upload it to the internet (any file/image hosting site will do, I use Imageshack). Then post it here in your topic.

This makes it easier to see what's going on in the partitions and drives on your system.

After the orientation of the partitions (or drives), we will deal with the booting issue. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Computer Freak91

Computer Freak91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

here is the screen shot i have vista in my c drive (70gb in size ) and i have windows 7( in this drive i have all my old files for windows 7 ) and another drive

Posted Image

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

From a cold boot (when it's completely off, turn it on with the power button), as soon as the BIOS screen flashes, start pressing the F8 button like it's going out of style. You should see the Advanced Boot Options menu (if not, wait for the OS to load, then shutdown and try again. Do NOT do a hard shutdown during a boot!! It will screw things up royally.) When you get to the "Advanced Boot Options", choose the "Repair your computer" option. You should see some loading screens, then some options for keyboard layout and such. Chose the obligatory "US" and click "Next". The repair system will scan your hard drive for Windows installations. After a few minutes (be patient), it should say that it recovered an operating system. It will ask you to reboot. Allow it to reboot. Now, do the same procedure again for getting into the Recovery options (press F8 > Repair your computer > etc...). This time, two operating systems will show up (Windows Vista and Windows 7 "Recovered"). Chose the "Windows 7 Recovered" and press next. Chose the "Startup Repair" option. It will run some tests and repair what is necessary to allow the system to boot again.

Reboot and you should get the boot options screen that you saw before (before you did the factory restore). You can chose Windows 7 or Vista. If you don't see the boot options screen, you may have to boot into Vista and set the timeout to something higher (5-10 seconds). Here is how to do this. Or you may have to repair the Windows 7 a second time (just like you did the first time) for it to be able to boot (sometimes this happens, but not always).

Did you hit any snags during my instructions? Can you boot into Windows 7 now?

By the way, to get rid of the "Windows 7 Recovered" part, use EasyBCD to change the name of the OS. Be careful while doing this. Do not change any other settings or you could end up with a non-booting system.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 29 January 2010 - 12:34 PM.

#5 Computer Freak91

Computer Freak91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

You should see some loading screens, then some options for keyboard layout and such. Chose the obligatory "US" and click "Next". The repair system will scan your hard drive for Windows installations. After a few minutes (be patient), it should say that it recovered an operating system. It will ask you to reboot. Allow it to reboot. Now, do the same procedure again for getting into the Recovery options (press F8 > Repair your computer > etc...). This time, two operating system
[/quote]

after i click on f8 it says repar ur pc i click on thaT then it ways loading windows files and then i clicked on uk lay put for key board then i clicked on satr up repair then its scans it in like 3 sec and says nothing (i see some messeage sayoing scans finshed and then it just says shuit downa or re start

i have a toshiba laptop satellite l350-20g what shall i do now

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

Do you have a Windows 7 install or repair disk? I'm now remember that you can't "repair" an operating system with an earlier repair system (made from an earlier Windows OS). The Vista repair system doesn't recognize the forgotten Windows 7 because the Vista is older. Sorry, I didn't remember this issue at first.

I'm assuming that you still have your Windows 7 installation disk? You need to boot off the installation disk (changing the order in the BIOS is the easiest way: press F2 on startup, and look for something like "Boot Device Priority". Move the CD drive to the top of the list. Save and Exit.), and follow the directions I gave in my previous post for recovering and repairing the OS (modified for booting off the CD instead of just running the Repair straight from the hard drive).

If you do not have a Windows 7 install disk, I may have a plan B, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Let me know what happens....

#7 Computer Freak91

Computer Freak91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

i need plan b

or

can i just go on vista and then run my disk of windows 7 and then what shall i do ???

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

I'm not sure what you are asking in the second part of your last post. Can you please clarify?

Give me a minute while I prepare your plan B. :huh:

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

Well, plan B is not working out like I had planned. No need to provide the details, it just won't work.

Do you have any friends, relatives, colleagues, etc...that have a Windows 7 disk? Without that disk (install disk or repair disk, doesn't matter), the repair will never recognize the Windows 7 (for reasons I stated earlier).

#10 Computer Freak91

Computer Freak91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

so does that mean i can never get it back

i have the windows 7 disk can i just put it on vista and then go from there

i mean that can i put the windows 7 disk in my dvd drive while im on vista

can i then clicked on mym dvd drive and then install/ repair windows 7 ffrom there

Edited by Computer Freak91, 29 January 2010 - 04:33 PM.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

Wait, so you do have a Windows 7 disk? I thought you didn't have one. With a Windows 7 disk, the forgotten Windows 7 can be recovered. Without one, it cannot.

#12 Computer Freak91

Computer Freak91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

yh i got the disk

can i go on my vista and out the disk in and then recover it from there

i dont want to on my laptop clcik on f2 or whateevver and do that bios things (not a pc expert )

#13 Computer Freak91

Computer Freak91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

can i do this on my vista

go on disk management and delte my windows 7 drive and extended it on my priamry drive

then create a new partion

then install windows 7 agin on that partion ???

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:26 PM

If you want to recover your Windows 7, you will have to boot off the CD like I told you. It is not that difficult, and there is no other way. You cannot do it inside Vista. You must be booted off the disk.

If you want to delete the Windows 7 partition and start over with it, you will still have to boot off the disk to install it again. You cannot install an operating system when you are still inside an operating system. You might as well just do the Startup Repair once booted off the Windows 7 disk. The forgotten Windows 7 can be recovered in this manner. That seems like the better route, instead of deleting the Windows 7 and starting from scratch with it (you'll have to boot off the disk either way).

Does that make sense?

According to this article, since your PC is a Toshiba, you will have to press the "Esc" button as soon as you turn it on to access the BIOS (as opposed to F2, some PC's are different than others in this respect).

Just do like I said before: insert the disc and turn the laptop completely off (with the disc still inside). As soon as you turn it on (the next step), start hitting the "Esc" key until it goes into the BIOS (you might hear a beep, this is good). If "Esc" does not work or you missed hitting it in time, allow Vista to boot before shutting down and trying again (NEVER do a hard reset while an operating system is booting). You may have to press a different key to get into the BIOS. If you have quick enough eyes, there will probably be something on the first screen that you see that tells which key to press. Once inside the BIOS, you will have to navigate with the arrow keys here. Left and right arrow keys moves you from tab to tab across the top, and the up and down arrow keys move you up and down inside each tab. You will have to take note of the keys necessary to change values/order of things in the BIOS (usually F5/F6, but not always; it will tell you which ones to use). Find the boot order (this might take some looking around). Move the CD drive to the top of the list (above the hard drive). Save and exit (usually F10, but the BIOS will tell you the correct key if that is not it).

The computer should now boot off the disc you left inside it earlier (it might ask you to press a key, the spacebar is fine for that). You will get the "Windows is loading files" progress bar, then a window asking your language/keyboard layout/etc. Near the bottom of the next window (a big Install button will be in the middle), you should see something that says "Repair your computer". Click "Repair your computer". It will begin scanning for operating systems and should find the forgotten Windows 7 (unlike before when the Vista repair couldn't find it). It will ask you to reboot. Please reboot. Allow the laptop to boot off the disk once again (if you had to press a key earlier, you will have to again here). Click "Repair your computer" again. Your Windows 7 should now show up in the list. Click "Next". Now click "Startup Repair". If there is anything keeping the Windows 7 from booting (very likely), this will remedy that so you will be able to use the Windows 7 again. After the "Startup Repair" scans and fixes things, it will want to reboot. Please reboot.

This time, go back into the BIOS (use the same key used before, i.e. "Esc") and change the boot order back to what it was before (hard drive was above the CD drive). Save and exit. You should now get the "Windows Boot Manager" screen that allows you to chose your operating system. Go ahead and boot into Windows 7 to confirm that it does work.

Anything that you need clarification on? I know it seems very complicated, but it isn't very hard at all. Just follow my instructions explicitly, and if you encounter something that is different/doesn't work, stop right there and ask more questions. If you are timid about doing this kind of stuff, you might try to find a friend or family member that is familiar with this kind of stuff. The procedure is very simple, but it does take a little guts.

:huh:

#15 Computer Freak91

Computer Freak91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:30 AM

when i start my laptop it says that clcik f12 to go to boot manger shall i do that or shall i clciik esc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users