Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SisM

SisM

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Every time I upload a video into WMM the sound runs normal, but the video runs slow and choppy. I have tried saving it and uploading it to both youtube and photobucket, figuring that it was just because my computer was running funny, but no it uploads all slow and choppy as well. This problem started when I got my new camera.

The video uploaded from my camera to my computer is in Quicktime, but WMM doesn't support it. So I use the RAD video tool Bink and Smacker to convert files to .avi format.

The video size I am using on my camera is 640X480 HQ and the AF Control (no idea what that means) is set to Continuous AF.

Anyone have any idea where I'm going wrong here? Any clue as to if there are downloads or even other free programs I can DL for simple audio and video editing? Right now I can easily upload raw video direct from the quicktime format onto YouTube and/or Photobucket without issue, but I have so many videos that need to be cut before I can upload and it's getting tiring not being able to do so.

Thanks so much!

-Sis

Edited by SisM, 29 January 2010 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 atreiou

atreiou

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

erm, why is the video in quicktime when u upload it to ur computer? what r u using? r u using a programme that came with it? if so that is probably where ur problem lies, the different companies like to screw each other over by making their programmes not like each other...

however, when working with video u should always endeavour to keep it in avifrom the second u capture it until the second u publish it... I suggest downloading and using 'windv' (http://windv.mourek.cz/) - it's free, safe and small... It wil capture ur footage as avi, as long as it's DV format, which given that it's a new camera, it should be...

obviously it's difficult to figure this sort of stuff out remotely but I always find that restarting from the very beginning ususally helps. So.... try this and see if there's any difference, if there isn't I reckon it's ur camera...

good luck!

#3 SisM

SisM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

Well first I was uploading using the Kodak program that came with the camera. But frankly I was not a fan of the program. Now I just use a card reader to take the stuff off of the camera and put it on the computer. I lost my camera chord to attach the camera directly to the computer, I assume I would need to find that to DL and use the windv on my camera? Or is it something that I use on my computer that I use to upload from my camera?

Sorry, I'm new to all of this stuff so I'm sure they're all stupid questions!

-Sis

#4 atreiou

atreiou

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

no that's cool, perfectly logical questions and actually revealing the right info... The reason ur getting quicktime then is probably because of the fact that ur using a card reader, also I'm guessing ur losing a large precentage of possible recording time if u have to save to a card and not the camers's hard drive...

anyway yeah, totally, ur way forward is to get a new cable and use windv. If it is already on ur camera then strange but awesome, however i think i'm just misunderstanding what u actually meant? Get a cable, put the camera in 'play' mode and attach to the comp, it should install and everything all by itself with the help of ur computer, unless it's a really new camera and u have xp or something then u may have to install the camera by using drivers from the manufacturer's website, all of which is more hassle but hopefully it'll just work on it's own. When it is installed, unattach it. Then either download and install and run windv, or if u've already done it just run it so it's open and running, then plug the camera back in. If all's well it should just detect the camera and by pressing 'record' on windv and play on the camera, u should get ur footage in nice avi format!

give it a go and let me know what happens... good luck, and sorry there's no other way but even if there was, plugging the camera directly into the computer is by far and away the correct way to do things...

good luck

#5 SisM

SisM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

I had no idea I could actually upload something onto my camera. Thanks I'll work on getting a new chord (or finding mine!).

If it matters, it isn't a video camera. It's a Kodak Z1015 so it's for pictures but also has a video option.

#6 SisM

SisM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

Okay so I downloaded it, I found my camera chord, and WinDV isn't recognizing my camera as a video device so I'm back where I was.

I'm thinking maybe a different file converter? I used to be able to use Bink and Smacker with my old Nikon (which also uploaded in quicktime files) without an issue. This is getting frustrating!! LOL Sorry for venting ;)

#7 atreiou

atreiou

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

yeah no worries, vents stop things exploding, which is never good unless ur watching from 50 metres away with a bunch of friends and some alchohol...

as for it being a stills camera with a video option, that explains a few things. The chances r the reason ur footage is displaled by quicktime is because it's a .mov file or something and not .avi? also, that'll be why u can get it onto a card reader, it's becuase the files r a lot smaller than .avi

hmmm, ok well there isn't much I can suggest given that it's actualyl a stills camera...

wiat a minute!! - i just looked up the camera wanting to not fail u, and i've found something out - it's a HD compatible camera so it'll be all designed to be played directly through hd tv's, both stills and video I think it says too, but more importantly, the video is record in mp4 format! this is lame when it comes to actually working with it. Windv won't work as it has to be in some sort of dv compatable format, which mp4 isn't if I'm correct...

however, if u download and install this programme - choosing either mirror 1 or mirror 2 - it should play ur files perfectly well. And if u have a transfer option between ur camera and the computer which lets u just transfer things as files like normal files would be transferred, just the raw data without having to use some lame programme, do that instead. - Just 'move' all .mp4 files from ur camera to ur comp, then play them through that programme I just suggested downloading.

should be problem solved then mate... it also means that u'll be able upload the films to ur phone too if u wanted to for some reason lol, oh and anything films u have on ur phone too should play through that programme no problem. Don't bother converting them , no point, it'll only mean a loss in quality anyway...

oh and always remember - when ur downloading and installing that programme, use ur own common sense, it's all ur call, it's not my computer so i can't be responsible for anything, should all be perfectly fine, i'm just covering my own ass cos i've suggested downloading and installing something lol..

anyways good luck and let me know what happens - oh, and use the cable u got to transfer the files to ur computer, don't use infra red or anything if the camera has it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users