Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Print & Open Files in Word 2007

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Parry.PB

Parry.PB

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:23 AM

Hi,

I installed novaPDF Lite 7 and tried converting a word file to pdf. It did'nt work but since then I have been facing issues with printing word documents through my laser printer.

1) The 'Print' dialog does not open on pressing Ctrl+P and when i do a quick print i get the following error message. Posted Image

Whereas, I am able to open the 'Print' dialog box in other office applications and print documents.

2) When I try opening any word file from Start Menu>Recent Documents, I am getting the error message as: Posted Image

3) Also, am unable to open any word file by browsing through the folders. Only way I can open a word file is through start menu of Word

4) And for some reasons system restore is also not able to restore to any date prior to the installation.

Have done the following so far;
i) Checked my default printer settings.
ii) Have uninstalled novaPDF.
iii) Have tried uninstalling & re-installing Office 2007, but no luck.

Pls assist me in re-solving this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

Hi,

What's your Operating System.

What size is your drive, how much memory do you have and how much free space is available.

What is your printer make and model.

What steps have you taken by reference to the first error message?

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the laser printer driver.

i) Checked my default printer settings.

When you select print, in Word, is your printer shown as the default printer or is it stuck on something else,
like NovaPDF, (even though you say you have uninstalled this), capture fax or one of the other 'printers' in the list.

As regards the second error message, you may have to reassociate your word documents, to enable you
to open them from the folders.

As regards system restore, it can be a problem if you are short of hard disk space.

Is your Anti-virus scanner up to date and have you run any malware and / or spyware scans recently;
you may have picked up some kind of infection.

#3 Parry.PB

Parry.PB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:57 AM

Thanks petewills for replying. Here are the answers to your questions;

1) OS: XP Pro SP2

2) Total Size of HDD 80GB, split into 3 partitions. Drive C: Size 40GB - Free Space 17GB

3) Printer: Samsung ML-1640 (But am able to use my printer with any other office application like excel without any such issues & also with Word from notebook)

4) If I try clicking the printer icon in word start ribbon, nothing happens; no dialog box opens. The first error message I get when I try doing a quick print of any word document.

5) Yeah, have uninstalled & re-installed my laser printer.

6) When i select print in Word, nothing happens. No dialog box opens up where I can see the printers.

7) But all these word documents open up when I open them from word start menu.

8) I guess have sufficient space for system restore.

9) AV is uptodate, I ran MBAM found winuqw32 as one of the infections, which I deleted.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hi, thanks for info. Excuse me if I mention things which you have already done, the problems seem peculiar.
-------------------------

Has NovaPDF completely gone from Add / Remove and Docs & Settings\Yourname\Application data.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are your drivers up to date.

Samsung

http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/monitor...type=prd_detail

Printer Driver should be

Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Win 7(32bit) Print Driver (ver.3.04.95:05)

Firmware should be

All OS Upgrade File (ver.1.xx.00.83)

--------------------------------------------------------------

In Control Panel, Printers and faxes, is the Samsung set as the default printer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associating files: (to enable opening files from your folders):

right click on any .doc file; (or .docx)
put mouse pointer on 'open with' to open up the next menu; select 'choose program'
at the bottom of the next menu, which gives you a list, in which Word should appear;
select Word, then tick the box 'always use the selected program to open this kind of file'
and click OK.

You only need to use 'browse', if your program, Word, is not already in the list
of Programs / Recommended Programs.
--------------------------------------------------------

Can you repair / reinstall Word as an individual component and do you have all
current updates from Windows Update. I am using Office 2003, having installed
the Office 2007 trial and subsequently uninstalled it. I mention this because it
screwed up my system and it was necessary to reinstall and uninstall several times
before things were back to normal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you tried System Restore in safe mode.

Restart the computer. Immediately after the screen goes blank for the first time, or after the BIOS post ends,
start tapping the F8 key repeatedly. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

If the menu does not appear, restart the computer and try again.
Select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER. As files load they will scroll down the screen.

Log on to the Administrator account. If a password was never set, leave the password blank and press ENTER or click the green arrow.

Click No in the safe mode information screen to start System Restore.

Select Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next to proceed to select a date with restore points available.

Click Next to begin restoring the system to a previous state.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure that winuqw32 is completely removed; see this BC topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/winuqw32-21226.html

You could run another good scanner:

SuperAntiSpyware:

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may care to consider updating XP to SP3, which seems to help with a lot
of problems.
----------------------------------

Pete.

#5 Parry.PB

Parry.PB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

Before we move ahead, an observation:
When I uninstalled & re-installed Office 2007, all my Quick Access Toolbar Settings & other Word Settings came back intact even though I used CCleaner to delete registry of the uninstalled version of Office. Also, all my recently opened documents were there in Word. Similarly, the printer settings & other settings related to print would have also been there & came back with fresh installation.

When I searched through registry, I found entries related to earlier versions of Office still there in registry such as Office 8.0, Office 10.0, Office 11.0.

Now should I uninstall Office & search manually for all office related registry entries & delete them prior to re-installation. But for this I would surely need some assistance to delete the entries.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:17 AM

If you have used CCleaner to cleanup the registry, you may have caused problems, not solved them.

Why registry cleaners are not recommended

#Post 3 by Animal:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292185/bleepingcomputer-registry-cleaner/

I would NOT recommend trawling through the registry for Office entries, even if you consider yourself
competent to edit the registry - there will be hundreds of them. Neither I, nor anyone in these forums, IMO,
is going to be prepared to advise on registry editing on a remote computer.

If the Office program has gone from Add / remove, that should be sufficient.

If YOU choose to edit your registry, you should create a backup first;
this is a good program:

ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

I would be inclined to try and fix system restore first, in view of what you have said.

#7 Parry.PB

Parry.PB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:54 AM

Used Microsoft Fix it (How do I uninstall the 2007 Office suites if I cannot uninstall it by using the "Add or Remove Programs" feature?) to remove Office 2007. But still the same issue; all settings reverted back, even the list of recent documents.

Guess it din't touch the registry entries at all.

Edited by Parry.PB, 03 February 2010 - 02:55 AM.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

First, do you have all Windows Updates installed for Office 2007.

What updates are available when you select 'Custom' and have you tried to
install updates, which have failed.

Bit of a longshot, but one tries everything:

Search for Normal.dotm and rename it to OldNormal.dotm - restart Word.
This global template should recreate on restart.

If it does not help this time, it is worth noting for the future, when Word acts up.

At this point I can only suggest things which will require a Genuine XP disk
or a manufacturer's system recovery / restore disk.

chkdsk /r - error checking on your hard disk

sfc /scannow - checking for corrupted or damaged system files.

If there is no change, I would be looking at a clean reinstall of the OS,
even though this is an inconvenience.

Back up all your data first.

What is your computer make and model - there may be a recovery partition on the hard disk.

If you do decide to format / reinstall and are not comfortable with the steps to take, I suggest you ask
the question in the Operating Systems - Windows XP Home and Professional forum,
as there are many members there who reinstall on a regular basis, rather than struggling for days
to resolve problems and they will be better able to advise, by reference to your specific system.

Edited by petewills , 03 February 2010 - 09:31 AM.

#9 Parry.PB

Parry.PB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:35 AM

Word 2003 Works!!! :thumbsup:

Uninstalled Office 2007 & re-installed Office 2003 and shoo .... all the problems go. :flowers:

But missing the style & features of 2007, will surely look around for a cure.

Now all I can figure out is the novaPDF messed up with the printer settings of the Word in the registry, which are still lying in the system inspite of all the above troubleshooting.

Can anybody assist with cleaning registry of Office 2007 installations?

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:29 AM

Most frustrating!

I would be more inclined to ensure that all elements of NovaPDF Lite 7 had been removed
from the registry and also from Documents and Settings\Yourname\Application Data\Nova
and any of the other Documents and Settings folders, and from Program Files,
but that's just my opinion.

Hopefully there will be further responses as to the numerous Word entries in the registry
and whether or not there is any point in getting rid of them.

You could always start a new topic, specifically on that matter.

A 'fresh' topic may attract new interest. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users