Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing but fine in Safe mode..no viruses found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DDNNAA

DDNNAA

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:05 AM

Computer was slow and we were getting the 'end program now' box and explorer was locking up. Then, great, husband was playing Stratigic Command and the screen would go black for about 30 seconds then come back. After that, all hell broke loose now we can't get past booting up. I've deleted the game and any other high mem. stuff. Have plenty of mem. and have run Malwarebytes atimalware, spybot and have Norton. Also defragmented. What else???? Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:22 AM

Please describe what happens when try try to boot normally. What is the last thing you see on the screen?

When you started having the issue, what other troubleshooting steps did you perform besides those listed? Did you make any changes using msconfig to try to figure it out?

When the system locked up, what did you do - use the power button to restart?

Is that Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer? If Internet Explorer, what version?

What do you think happened in the time between the system working and not working? Did you update or install any new hardware and software?

If you can boot in Safe Mode, have you tried booting into Last Know Good Configuration?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD? This is not the same as any system recovery CDs that may have come with your system

If you can boot into Safe Mode with networking, please perform the following steps (MBAM is included for completeness).

To eliminate questions and guessing, please provide additional information about your system.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 DDNNAA

DDNNAA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

Thanks so much for your interest.
1) Bootup normally takes forever, especially for networking icons. Desktop comes up but then when trying to open any file or program the hourglass freezes and either just stays that way or "program not responding-end program now" dialog box comes up.

2) to shutdown the start up icon doesn't work so we've been taking out the power cord and pulling out the battery

3) have not tried msconfig

4) Running off internet explorer (think 7)

5) We did not install any new software or programs. My husband was playing those war games and I do a lot of internet surfing, as we just moved and need mirrors, rugs, etc.

6) tried last good config, debugging mode, system restore on/off. I have Malwarebytes Antimalware (just ran another scan last night) and Norton (only one phishing cookie showed up on Norton). I can't download the superspyware download from safemode. Is there a way to get my system to allow me to do this?

msinfo32:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SHEA-FETKO
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 6000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1695 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 9/28/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name SHEA-FETKO\Michael Shea
Time Zone Mountain Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.69 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

8) I don't have the windows XP CD. I may be able to find someone who does.

I guess you think this is a virus even though Norton and Malwarebytes haven't found anything?

THANK YOU!!!! This site is fabulous. Thank God for people like you who know what the hell you're doing!

Edited by DDNNAA, 29 January 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

Your msinfo32 looks pretty good.

You need to stop pulling the plug or cutting the power in an unnatural way or you are going to need a bootable XP installation CD real soon and perhaps a BC topic called "now my system will not boot at all" :thumbsup:

I would suggest finding a genuine XP Professional bootable CD and making a copy (perfectly legit) for some day when you need it. I just want to run chkdsk /r somehow since you have been pulling the plug... You don't want to need one and not have it.

In the meantime it would also be prudent to make a bootable Recovery Console CD if you can using a working system:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

You can do this in Safe Mode:

Since there have been power interruptions, verify the integrity of your file system by clicking Start, Run and in the box enter:

chkdsk c: /r

Respond in the affirmative to the message to run chkdsk on the next reboot, reboot (normally) and chkdsk will run automatically.

If you have a D drive, repeat the same for d:

I like to start scans with MBAM and SAS. It seems to me some systems and Norton don't get along too well at times but let's do the chkdsk /r first, then see what is left.

I suggest enduring Safe Mode (with Networking) until you get this sorted out.

Other people may have some good ideas too.

Edited by joseibarra, 29 January 2010 - 12:35 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users