Thanks so much for your interest.
1) Bootup normally takes forever, especially for networking icons. Desktop comes up but then when trying to open any file or program the hourglass freezes and either just stays that way or "program not responding-end program now" dialog box comes up.
2) to shutdown the start up icon doesn't work so we've been taking out the power cord and pulling out the battery
3) have not tried msconfig
4) Running off internet explorer (think 7)
5) We did not install any new software or programs. My husband was playing those war games and I do a lot of internet surfing, as we just moved and need mirrors, rugs, etc.
6) tried last good config, debugging mode, system restore on/off. I have Malwarebytes Antimalware (just ran another scan last night) and Norton (only one phishing cookie showed up on Norton). I can't download the superspyware download from safemode. Is there a way to get my system to allow me to do this?
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SHEA-FETKO
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 6000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1695 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 9/28/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name SHEA-FETKO\Michael Shea
Time Zone Mountain Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.69 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.85 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
8) I don't have the windows XP CD. I may be able to find someone who does.
I guess you think this is a virus even though Norton and Malwarebytes haven't found anything?
THANK YOU!!!! This site is fabulous. Thank God for people like you who know what the hell you're doing!
Edited by DDNNAA, 29 January 2010 - 12:00 PM.