Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building new computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

Ok, first off... Im aware that Im blowing a huge amount of cash on this, and could get a very slight downgrade to a few things and save a lot... Im mostly doing this for bleeps and giggles, wanna see what's the best comp I can make... With the money I got to blow on this.

Ive never built a computer from scratch... But Ive upgraded, and torn apart, and rebuilt a thousand computers... So basically I just want a few people to double check what Ive come up with to make sure it'll all fit together and works correctly.

Things Im not positive about:
Power supply: Enough watts to support everything... Is there any chance that it physically damages any hardware? Do I need a better one?
Case + Power supply: Will it fit?
Memory - Do I need to go with the 6X2gig, or could I buy two sets of 3X4gig?
Edit: Also, a 64 bit OS supports 24 gigs right? And is there a 64 bit Linux OS out there? Im not too familiar with it, but I want to be...

What Im trying to do is get the best processor, motherboard, video cards, and ram, then be a cheap ass on the case/HDD/pwr supply. I already got the processor, so I sort of have to work around that. The video cards arent listed here because to be honest, Im not really positive what they are. Im getting them from a friend, they're extremely high-end ATI, probably whatever is the best ATI at the moment.

Processor

Mother Board

Memory
Whats the difference with the above, and this?

Case

Power

HDD

Anyways... Im open to suggestions and would love any advice... Im sortta nervous as hell that Im ganna get some static in this thing and blow it. :thumbsup:

Edited by TROJ TDSS.SMA, 30 January 2010 - 01:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-005-_-Product

i used this product on builds and it hasnt failed me yet..... this will at least keep ure static worries downn :thumbsup:

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

The current, absolute, top-of-the-line ATI graphics card is the Radeon 5970 followed by the 5870. Your case is currently unavailable, I really like the COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP. Your power supply is also coming up as "unavailable", if you plan on using Crossfire with either of those cards or taking advantage of three-way Crossfire, then you may want to get the CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W. Remember, you also need a 64-bit OS.

3939.png

#4 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:02 AM

Ill definitely be getting that Blaze, appreciate it.

The chances are that the ATI card is one of those two. I like your case as well DJB, they both seem fairly similar. I could go with either of em to be honest.

Im not really familiar with ATI's crossfire. I have a very limited knowledge on what it is and what it does. So I dont know if I would be using it or not. Im a nvidia fan, honestly. I just happened to get these from a good friend.

Why is that power supply beneficial to crossfire (assuming that I knew what it is)? It just need more watts?

Also, Im still curious about some of my initial questions E.G. the power supply fitting the case, what type/size of memory can I get, and if theres a stable 64 bit Linux out there?

Appreciate the help so far =]

#5 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

Well, have you used Linux before? I bought a linux magazine with OpenSuse 64 bit and 32 bit os disk inside, they loaded up just fine. I also burned a Linux Mint disk that loaded as well. If your going to dual boot you need to load Windows first, just my thought. Enjoy your build, but research it well first!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

You can use Ubuntu 64-bit, or, my personal favorite since I like KDE, Kubuntu 64-bit. If you're planning on gaming, you may want to stick with Windows 7 64-bit. I tried Linux for a year and had numerous issues with it so I switched back to Windows. A 64-bit OS can handle well over 100GB of RAM, but unless you are running some very, very high end enterprise applications, you have absolutely no need to have that much memory. Windows 7 Home Premium can handle 16GB with all other higher-end versions capping out at 192GB. Crossfire allows you to combine two or more graphics cards into one very powerful graphics setup. Instead of a single card rendering a game, you could have two, three, or four. Naturally, the more cards you add, the more power they suck down, hence the high wattage power supply. The power supply conforms to ATX specifications, which most do, and will fit the case just fine. As for the memory, you have a triple channel motherboard with two banks containing three RAM slots for a grand total of six RAM slots (3 (triple channel requires three identical RAM sticks to work) x 2 (number of banks on your motherboard)). Because of this, you could buy 3x2GB RAM kits.

3939.png

#7 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:10 AM

Here's the link to the video cards. Not as good as I thought, but still plenty good enough. Two of those, with the processor, motherboard, and memory should all work, and fit in this case right? And this power supply (that a decent one? Or anyone know of any that are better? With 1200W+?) should fit in that case, and power everything without trouble? I decided to go with a fairly decent power supply over the previously crappy one I picked. A few people said going cheap on a power supply is a bad idea.

Mostly a final check. The memory works right? DJB said (3(RAM)x2(motherboardBanks))... So the set of six identical memory sticks work just as well as two sets of three right?

Edited by TROJ TDSS.SMA, 10 February 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

Why did you choose that video card, it's already out of date with the Radeon 5 series. You should go for something in the Radeon 5 series as they are usually more powerful and will run DirectX 11. However, Crossfire should only be done with high-end cards. This is because not all games scale well with two or more cards, so having one very high end card is usually more beneficial than two lower-end cards. A 4870 X2 is an already Crossfired card in that it contains two GPU's on a single circuit board. Installing two of those cards would get you a quad Crossfire setup which is not very cost effective since most games run best with two GPU's and rarely scale well past that. For less than the price of a 4870 X2, you could get a DIAMOND 5870PE51G Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB which is faster than that card and has more features. There is also less expensive RAM on the market you can get. Just buy two OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 kits. Your case is also unavailable, you can get the COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP as an alternative. With the Radeon 5870 in a standard two-way Crossfire setup, you do not need a 1200W power supply. You may need that power in a four-way Crossfire setup but not a two way where a Thermaltake W0296RU 800W would be more than enough.

3939.png

#9 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

The video cards are already purchased and in my possession. I didnt choose them, I got them free, brand new... I figured those free vs something thats a slight upgrade for not even close to free is better. I forgot about your case, I did actually decide that Cosmos one seemed better. Ill be getting that one for sure, not sure why I re-linked the old one. The two (3x2) seems fine as well. There a reason why you picked that specific set/brand?

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

Well, if you got the cards free, I guess you can make do but know that they are not as good as they once were. The 4870 X2 is a decent card, it is just not as good as the current flagship model ATI has. There's no real reason behind my choice of RAM. Looking at them again they do come highly recommended, have a rebate, and free shipping.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users