Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid configuration with only one HDD

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:50 AM

Ok, Im not very familiar on how to set up a raid configuration, and Ive run into a confusing problem. A friends motherboard fried, so hes trying to move his HDD from his old computer into a new one. The only problem we're running into is moving the HDD. Im not sure how he had it set up before, and like I said before, Im not familiar with raid setups. Ive read up a little on it online, and so far how he had it set up doesnt make much sense. He had only a single drive. Heres the info I got, will provide whatever I can on request.

Raid Volume -
ID: 0
Name: ARRAY
Level: Raid1 (Mirror)
Strip: N/A
Bootable: Yes

Physical Disk -
Port: 1
Type/Status: Member Disk (0)

We've gotten it to boot up, but right when it hits the windows screen it BSOD's and restarts. I figure that means we're doing something wrong, lol.

I needa know what port to plug it into, and what settings are important in the bios.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:15 AM

Generally speaking...users should not expect a hard drive/system to function properly...when the hard drive has settings and drivers for a different motherboard. Eventually, it may...it may not.

Worth reading, IMO: Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

RAID stands for redundant array of independent disks. By definition you cannot have a RAID array with one dirve. RAID 0 is essentially disk mirroring. It requires two disks. The primary is the one used by the system and the secondary with is the mirror(exact copy). Even if he did have another disk and the controller is on the motherboard in both cases it will not work with out both of the controllers being exactly the same make, model, and revision. I would try turning of the RAID on the new board and booting as a single drive since it is impossible he had a RAID 0 setup with one drive.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

RAID stands for redundant array of independent disks. By definition you cannot have a RAID array with one dirve. RAID 0 is essentially disk mirroring. It requires two disks. The primary is the one used by the system and the secondary with is the mirror(exact copy). Even if he did have another disk and the controller is on the motherboard in both cases it will not work with out both of the controllers being exactly the same make, model, and revision. I would try turning of the RAID on the new board and booting as a single drive since it is impossible he had a RAID 0 setup with one drive.

This is exactly why Im so confused. You say its impossible, and as far as I know, I mostly agree with you... But the HDD is set as raid, and he's never had a second one. How do I turn off the raid without having to wipe the HDD?

Edited by TROJ TDSS.SMA, 29 January 2010 - 10:45 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

I remembered reading this, but had to double-check:

"RAID 0 (striped disks) distributes data across multiple disks in a way that gives improved speed at any given instant. If one disk fails, however, all of the data on the array will be lost, as there is neither parity nor mirroring. In this regard, RAID 0 is somewhat of a misnomer, in that RAID 0 is non-redundant. A RAID 0 array requires a minimum of two drives. A RAID 0 configuration can be applied to a single drive provided that the RAID controller is hardware and not software (i.e. OS-based arrays) and allows for such configuration. This allows a single drive to be added to a controller already containing another RAID configuration when the user does not wish to add the additional drive to the existing array. In this case, the controller would be set up as RAID only (as opposed to SCSI only (no RAID)), which requires that each individual drive be a part of some sort of RAID array.]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Louis

#6 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

Yes, I read that as well, but I didnt fully understand it, nor how to set it up. Which I guess is why I am asking you guys here.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:05 AM

Well...the way that I interpret is...the only way that a single hard drive can be configured as a RAID...is if it is attached to a hardware RAID controller which specifically allows for such.

I guess I fail to see the need/desire for such, considering the prices of hard drives these days.

Seems to be possible with some Promise controllers, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/171477-3...ay-single-drive.

Very unlikely if you are using native motherboard RAID controller, that would be my guess...but I've been wrong before.

The standard concept of a RAID...employs at least two drives, as previously stated.

Louis

As I see it...the problem is that the hard drive is in RAID0 mode, setup on a hardware controller supporting such. Which means that...in order to access data from that drive, it must either be attached to that type of controller on a different system...or the data must be salvaged from the RAID0 on the old system and transferred to a normal single drive while attached to the old system.

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#8 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

Ha! I also found that link before I made this topic. But I didnt think he had a raid controller... But apparently he must, if its required to have a single hard drive. Is this raid controller built into the motherboard somewhere? Because as far as I can tell I only see a video card, processor, and ram plugged into this one. In that thread, Mpjesse states:

"You cannot simply just migrate a RAID 0 array to an external enclosure or new motherboard- it won't work.

You're going to have to image the drives/array, move the array, format the array, and copy the drive image to the new arrary."

So what Im gathering from that last bit, is that since the old motherboard is completely fried, the information currently on the HDD is inaccessible?

Edit: "...must either be attached to that type of controller..." - Ok, thats a possible option I guess... How would I go about finding out what type of controller it was hooked up to, or what type the current motherboard has, if any? The motherboard he has now is basically a upgraded version of the previous one, but nearly identical.

Edited by TROJ TDSS.SMA, 29 January 2010 - 11:18 AM.

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

Oops my bad sometimes I get the RAID levels switched in my head :thumbsup: regardless There is NO RAID with one drive period. It is possible to use a setting called just a bunch of drives. It still requires more than one drive. You cannot create any array without two or more drives. Best way to see is to put the drive in another computer as an extra drive or use a Live CD to start the computer. If you can access the files you are good to go no raid controller was used. if not you are out of luck and everything is lost.
Mark Twain

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

Motherboard specs...and system specs...will indicate if there is a RAID controller/capability.

Cannot have capability without a hardware controller which is part of the motherboard package...or a separate controller card which can be installed on the motherboard as a PCI or PCI-e card.

Louis

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Now that we have beat the RAID horse to death let me ask you something from your original post. You said it begins to start and then gives a BSOD.... Can you give us the stop error and associated message? You wouldn't even get that far if it was a raid array on the disk it would simply be saying there is no OS found. The fact that you are getting a BSOD means you are accessing the drive but something is preventing windows from continuing to load. Give us the message and we might be able to get windows to load
Mark Twain

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

FYI RAID can also be done in software without a hardware controller. Windows 2000 server to present has the capability built in to build RAID 0,1,& 5 arrays throught software using dynamic disks :thumbsup:
Mark Twain

#13 TROJ TDSS.SMA

TROJ TDSS.SMA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

EDIT: The dumba** got impatient and wiped the HDD. So it doesnt really matter anymore.

Now that we have beat the RAID horse to death let me ask you something from your original post. You said it begins to start and then gives a BSOD.... Can you give us the stop error and associated message? You wouldn't even get that far if it was a raid array on the disk it would simply be saying there is no OS found. The fact that you are getting a BSOD means you are accessing the drive but something is preventing windows from continuing to load. Give us the message and we might be able to get windows to load

Ha, beating that RAID horse, and I still dont get it. >.< But if what your saying is correct, then it seems that I dont even have to worry about whether or not my HDD is a raid or array or whatever we're talking about.

Heres the problem with the BSOD... Its the fastest damn BSOD Ive ever seen. Its up for less then a tenth of a second. It took us about a dozen times to figure out that it was even a BSOD. So, obviously reading out the error code is damn near impossible... There isnt anyway to pause the BSOD message is there? Or even have it stay up for at least a second or two so that I can just restart it 20 times and copy down the code?

Note: Im at my place, and hes not here/computer isnt here... So either way, it might take me a day or two before I can get over there to do whatever you suggest for me to do.

Edited by garmanma, 30 January 2010 - 12:28 PM.
Edit text

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

Resolution at any price, the result of frustration :thumbsup:.

Well, sometimes a clean install is the proper way to rid oneself of previous mistakes...thanks for keeping us updated :flowers:.

Louis

#15 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

OH well you live and you learn! Sometimes the pain of lossing a few things isn't worth the frustration anyhow! :thumbsup: Beside with a new board and such a clean install was the way to go anyhow.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users