Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't recognize graphics card

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

I have an HP Pavilion m7580n computer running windows xp. 2GB of PC2-4200 memory and 300 watt power supply. I currently had the nvidia geforce 7300 LE pci e graphics card installed. My computer quit working, it powered up but no video. So I found an older Matrox millennium G200 SD video pci card and tried it, it works fine.

Then,I went and bought a new 512 mb geforce 8400 GS pci express card, it didn't work, I thought maybe it is the pci express slot that has gone bad. So, then I bought the 512 mb geforce 8400 GS pci card, figuring the pci slot worked with the older card. I can't get the pci card to work either.

I have removed all the old drivers, gone into the bios settings with the older card and changed it to pci express before I shut it down to install the pci e card. Still nothing. The monitor led stays yellow, it doesn't even detect it. I checked the power supply and put in a stronger 650w and still no change. I pulled out the memory and put it back in to be sure it was seated correctly. It all works fine with the older video card anyway.
I forgot to add there is no onboard graphics to worry about. So I did not need to disable that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like a better video card than the old Matrox.
Thanks !

Edited by Crizz44, 29 January 2010 - 12:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:57 AM

what do you mean did not work? did the computer get to post, or just show a blank screen? any error beeps or anything like that?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

You might need a BIOS flash upgrade to support a newer video card.
Years ago I tried upgrading from a 16 Mb Voodoo3 2000 PCI video to an ATI AGP card with 64 Mb. My PC never booted past the post......that is until I flashed my BIOS chip with the latest firmware.
After that I was able to use that Radeon 7000 64 Mb AGP card with no problems.
Hope this helps!

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for you replies. It doesn't post. The screen stays blank, the monitor led stays yellow, so it never recognizes it. And there are no error beep codes. I thought about the BIOS upgrade. I will look into that. I am getting a Geforce 128mb today hopefully and I am going to see what happens with that. If it works, it probably does need to be flashed. I will post back, thanks again.

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

Just to add that I did perform a Bios flash upgrade and still no results.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:24 PM

Almost forgot I contributed to this thread :thumbsup:

OK seems like you're having problems with Nvidia brand PCI-E cards and it has to be a problem related to your BIOS because that is what starts the computer up first, Windows and drivers have nothing to do with what is happening at this point.

Ok so from here, we have to come up with the theory of "what could be the error for the card to stop the BIOS's ROM from booting?

Several cards create the same error, so its not the card.

Same PCI-E slot being used each time------POSSIBLE SUSPECT

Used a PCI slot---caused same error----POSSIBLE PCI SLOT OR PCI BUSS ERROR

Lets try this as a possible fix.

Warning: Before proceding with any attempts to repair or modify the inside of any computer, be sure to ground yourself to the computer's case before and at all times while you are performing this task.
The human body is capable of storing lethal amounts of static electricity, which is capable of destroying the sensitive electronic components located inside a computer.

Instructions:

Locate your motherboard's CMOS battery and observe how it is installed, make note of this and remove the battery from the motherboard.

Locate on the motherboard a jumper with the words CLR CMOS. On some computers it is labled CLRTC next to them, there should be 3 pins in a row with a plastic looking jumper on two of them, move this jumper over to the first and second pins opposite of where it was, let stand for 5 minutes.

Return this jumper back to its original pin setting, replace your CMOS battery just as it was before you removed it.

Start the computer and hold down the proper key for entering the BIOS SETUP UTILITY, it is either the F2 or the Delete key.

Your time and date need to be fixed as it was reset and will be wrong.

Hit your F5 key this will load Setup defaults. If there is another option located at the bottom of your BIOS menu called load system defaults choose that option also.

Now hit the F10 key this will pop a box up saying the following SAVE CHANGES TO CMOS AND EXIT? Type Y for yes.

Your computer should now reboot.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 March 2010 - 09:33 PM.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

Thanks I tried that but no luck. I did notice that it did have an onboard video which had been disabled and had a plastic cover screwed in over it, so as not to use it. Well I took that off and
went into the bios and enabled the onboard. It works great. So, I guess for now I will stick with
using it. I am still wondering why the PCI slot worked for an older video card, but not a low end newer card. Seems to be many complaints with the same problem online.
The motherboard is an ASUS A8M2N-LA Nodus M3. I've tried just about everything. Seems to be
a common problem.
Thanks for your help !

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:39 AM

Replace your power supply.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:51 AM

That could be it-if the power supply doesn't supply enough juice to handle the card, it will not post.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

Was already done. please read above!

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

crizz44 have you gone to the asus web site and looked into a BIOS flash upgrade, these upgrades usually fix issues with processors including the ones on video cards.

Being that your video card is failing during the POST screen, this is a BIOS related issue.

An BIOS upgrade might fix this issue.

Asus includes a brief discription of what each upgrade does.

Heres the link, allow it to Automatically detect your system this feature is automated, or you can manually look for your motherboards untilities yourself.

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

Was already done. please read above!

He could have replaced it with a power supply that isn't up to snuff.

#13 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:11 PM

I Tried a 650 watt power supply with no luck and it had all the connectors I needed. And I have flashed to latest BIOS upgrade. I was hoping that would have done it. I double checked to be sure my 3.5 version was the latest and it was .
Strange so many others are having this same problem with no solutions. But, thanks for all your suggestions :thumbsup:

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:48 PM

Whats the model number of your power supply?

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:11 AM

I have flashed to latest BIOS upgrade. I was hoping that would have done it. I double checked to be sure my 3.5 version was the latest and it was .
Strange so many others are having this same problem with no solutions. But, thanks for all your suggestions :thumbsup:

Okay thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure if your BIOS firmware came from the Asus web site or not, so that answers my question, sorry this did not fix your problem, but sometimes it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users