Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dimm question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tracer3

Tracer3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

I have two ddr3 1600 12800 2 gig cards cas latency 9 voltage 1.65 to 1.85. Can I use two like sticks w/same latency but 1.5 volts as well. Dual channel that I have reports on about Initial start up problems with sticks greater than 1.5. If I can use the 1.5s how should they be configured in the four slots.

Edited by Tracer3, 28 January 2010 - 09:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

When doing Dual Channel setups it is always best if possible to use the same manufacturer, model, and size for every module. Variances in any of the tmiings and voltages for any memory modules being used can cause all kinds of random errors to creep in. It may cost a few more dollars but it is well worth it in the headache and heartache that can be caused by trying to take the cheap way out. Setting the memory you have at a lower voltage is not a good idea. The listed 1.65 volt power rating is the minimum it needs to successfully function.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Tracer3

Tracer3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

Thanks, I think that answers my question. I will post if there is a problem after setting the bios on the new board and booting. Waiting for Linux OS Gosalia (mad monkey) to fire off in the next two days.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

sometimes in theory, however not recomended. it is best to run the memory voltages at what the ram is designed for and mixing voltages is a bad idea. You can mix speeds and timings, because with that they just default to the slower speed, however if your running ram at a lower voltage then recomended the system may become unstable. if you run it all at 1.5v none of them are at the right ram, if you run it at 1.65v the 1.65v will run smooth but the ram thats supposed to run at 1.85v may become unstable, and if you run it all at 1.85v the ram thats supposed to run at 1.65v may overheat and/or become damaged from overvoltage. Mixing voltages is not a good idea, I would run one or the other, and for optimum performance all sticks should be the same make model, everything, run at the same voltage, same size, same clock frequiency, and same timings.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users