Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

I have a friend that just purchased a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. He has not had a computer before. Contacted Verizon and they want to set him up with a router so that he can move throughout the house with the laptop.

What else will he need beside the router? I have a router that is attached to my desktop via a ethernet cable. I am able to use my Dell laptop wirelessly and have my printer set up to print wirelessly.

I don't think Verizon has given my friend enough information as to what he will need to set up his laptop to utilize the router.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Moved from Windows 7 to Networking. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 28 January 2010 - 11:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanrB

DanrB

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

Verizon would certainly know that a router is all that would be needed for the wireless connection for any laptop that has been bought in the last few years, and in the last few months? I can't think of a one that doesn't come with a wireless card built in as part of the standard equipment package.

Your friend would do much better to buy the router her/him/self rather then buy it directly from Verizon though. They will surely charge two, three times or more what one can be had for at any local outlet or online supplier.

Verizon won't provide support for one not provided by them but that's no big deal, routers are very easy to setup so no "support" by an ISP is needed for it

anyway.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

Verizon is providing in-home internet access? The only way I know of this happening would either be a mobile broadband card or a MiFi mobile hotspot.

If he has a laptop with a wireless card (they don't make laptops without them) and a router (whether it be cable/phone line based or a mobile broadband thing), that is all you need. You have to pay for the service coming to the router, the router sends the signal out, and the laptop uses it to connect to the internet. It's as simple as that really.

As for setting it up, he will have to follow the directions given in the manual that comes with it.

Your setup is different because you are likely using a regular line-based internet connection (cable in the ground), where what he will have (according to my guess about what you said) a completely wireless setup (wireless from the provider to the router and from the router to the laptop). There isn't anything else he needs to buy. Unless he wants a wireless printer, that is.

If all he is doing is buying a regular line-based router from Verizon, there is no point in doing that. Verizon does not offer line-based in-home internet, so they would just be charging him extra for a router (that Verizon cannot send service to) that you can get at Wal-Mart. And in that case, he would have to find service through a company like AT&T, Charter, etc..(ones that offer in-home internet).

Edited by keyboardNinja, 28 January 2010 - 09:46 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

Can he not get cable or DSL? Because what I think Verizon is talking about is a cell based modem/router. If he can get cable or dsl then that would be a better idea.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

Can he not get cable or DSL? Because what I think Verizon is talking about is a cell based modem/router. If he can get cable or dsl then that would be a better idea.

That's what I was thinking.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

I have a cell based router with Stelera, I live near the Gulf of Mexico. DSL is cheaper, I pay $51.95 a month and await optic fiber cable to be able to use DSL.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users