Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

smss32.exe problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 naupperlee

naupperlee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

I apologize ahead of time for the limited information I will be able to provide, but I am very much a novice when it comes to computer viruses. For a couple days my computer has been running slower than normal, and I had been flooded with "nExplore" pop-ups every time I went on the internet. This morning I noticed my desktop background was changed to a blue screen, and there was a new icon in my system tray (I believe that is what it's called). A dialog balloon kept popping up about my computer being infected. I ignored this and began to research what the problem might be but with little success. I downloaded MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, but when I went to run the program, I received an error message saying the mbam.exe file was missing. At that point I couldn't do anything more.

I came home from work this afternoon, and now I can't open Task Manager, System Restore, Command Prompt (or any other program for that matter). I also cannot access the internet from that computer anymore, so downloading cleaning software is out of the question.

I tried starting the computer in Safe Mode to see if I could access any of the programs (or the internet) that way, but it was more of the same.

Please advise me on what I can do to begin to resolve this issue.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users