Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PROBLEM ? In Yahoo Mail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:48 AM

Hi I have just noticed something that strikes me as strange about my Yahoo Email.

I recently sent an email to one of my contacts. When they emailed me back they had used the reply feature and that sent me back a copy of my old email to them.

That is as it should be, however I noticed something in my original email that I had not put there, and I am wondering if I might have a Trojan of some kind that is adding commercial advertisements to my outgoing email without my knowledge.

Here is a copy of the suspicious part of the email >>

> Subject: Re: Just Saying Hi
>
> *grabs tori by the throat and chokes her just a little bit* Damn Boo,
acting as a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px
double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=big%20sister"
onmouseover="window.status='big sister'; return true;"
onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">big sister</a> I had to do that to you for
having sex again, I think after I recommended that you don't do it.
>

I did not put that link into my outgoing email, so how did it get there? Has anyone got any ideas about this?

:thumbsup: Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:15 AM

What you are seeing is some formatting code that enhanced the original, but when included in the reply was stripped away and changed to the code. There is nothing to worry about.

I might add that many versions of Email etiquette frown upon automatically including the original text in replies simply because it is often a waste of in-box space; more favoured is a select quotation of orginal text if reference is needed.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 29 August 2005 - 09:15 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:17 PM

Hi jgweed, Are we both talking about this =

<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px
double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=big%20sister"
onmouseover="window.status='big sister'; return true;"
onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">big sister</a>

That thing is a hyper link to a commercial site. How does something like that
"just happen" to weave it's self into an email?

I mean that thing is a damn commercial that was inserted into an email that I sent out without me knowing that it was going to be included with my email.

How do I keep that from happening again?

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:38 PM

If you wants your free Yahoo email, you gets your Yahoo ads inserted when they are sent (and returned to you when someone automatically includes your email in the reply).
Seriously, Yahoo is able to offer you a free Email service and more by placing advertising in your Emails (and this is also noted in their terms of service). If you are dead set against this, they offer you POP access and no advertising for 20 dollars a year.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 29 August 2005 - 09:58 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:54 PM

Hi jgweed, *dosen't read eula's too good* OK so it is not some evil Trojan that did that, but yahoo themselves..... I think that I can live with that.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users