Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...c01324212#N1474

That's the picture of my mobo. I have a CD/DVD Rewritable drive that I scavenged off of my last machine, and figured since I have the extra bay in my current one, why not throw this one in there as well?

Well, when I took it out of the old machine I realized there are no sata data plugs here; it was connected by a ribbon for data, which I don't have in the new machine (I scavenged the ribbon too, though). Is the black port directly above the main power port compatible with a ribbon? I notice it's labeled "floppy" in the schematic, and I've always associated "floppy" and "ribbon".

Thanks
Tim

edit - additionally, the jumper on the back for CS/SL/MA? I'm guessing SL and MA are slave and master. It's currently set as CS, whatever that is. Do I need to have one as a slave and one as a master, or should I leave the new (2nd) one as CS?

Edited by tsquared56, 28 January 2010 - 06:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

That drive is IDE and you don't have that port on your board. It will not work. Oh and by the way CS stands for Cable Select.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

To tsquared56:

You said:
I notice it's labeled "floppy" in the schematic, and I've always associated "floppy" and "ribbon"

My answer to you is:
The "Floppy" port is for old 1.44 mb drives that used disks that came in a flat disk packaging with a sliding door. Floppy disks are no longer used since cdroms and dvds are now formatted as bootable disks.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 28 January 2010 - 10:22 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

You can get an IDE controller card if you don't have anything in that PCI slot
They make them for the PCI-E also, but more money
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...4-001-_-Product
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users