Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixed 0x00000024 error... sort of?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 manguy

manguy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Well, I did some research, and i ended up downloading a knoppix CD for the ntfsfix tool. So, i ran that, and it works, sort of. When i boot up windows, chkdsk wants to run, and i allowed it. So, it does its business, takes a really long time, maybe 2 hrs. everythings normal, then it wants me to shut down, so i do that, and windows restarts. When that happens, the 0x00000024 error occurs again. So, i redo the ntfsfix command form knoppix and get it working again. If i skip the chkdsk, windows works perfectly fine, but anytime i restart the PC the chkdsk tries to run again. What should i do from here? i don't really know what specific question TO ask. but, is the ntfs fixed, and i just need to terminate the chkdsk at startup, and if so, how do i do that? or is there something else i should be asking?

Edited by manguy, 28 January 2010 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

When chkdsk runs does it find any errors or bad sectors on the drive?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 manguy

manguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

When chkdsk runs does it find any errors or bad sectors on the drive?

it shows none, the results are clean.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

You can stop chkdsk from running at boot by using the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Prevent Check Disk Upon Boot - #294 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 manguy

manguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

You can stop chkdsk from running at boot by using the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Prevent Check Disk Upon Boot - #294 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.

i dont feel comfortable doing the registy, ill do that as a last resort, but is there any other way?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

Hopefully after running chkdsk this may it will prevent it from wanting to run at every boot.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 manguy

manguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.

Hopefully after running chkdsk this may it will prevent it from wanting to run at every boot.

it didnt work, it restarted at the end and i got the blue screen again. I know knoppix "dirties" the ntfs file, and it causes windows to reinstall it, so maybe thats what its trying to do, but it keeps BSODing on startup when i allow chkdsk to run on startup. I was thinking of doing chkdsk /r in the recovery console and seeing what happens...

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

I believe that chkdsk /r is the same thing as what I had you do - but it's worth a try I think.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users