Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sixa Dialer problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zz4

zz4

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

HELP ???

I turned on my laptop today and it seemed my Norton/Symantec Anti-Virus was not running right.

I tried their live-update and got error messages. On their Symantec web site they had instructions as to the error number. I was following instructions on their site and clicked to download some .exe file. (yes..it was their site)

BANG--download failed after a second or so.....

Next I notice my internet connection has failed. Re-dial's errors.

My connection has an addition of SIXA now.

I delete.It just comes back. I did a registry search and found one file-key with sixa in it. Deleted that.(archived)

I can not do anything. Dial-up and in a very short time SIXA has taken over.

I hope there is some solution besides throwing a laptop away.

I do not have the experience of anything beyond simple fix-its. Like complex instructions...registry editing or ????

#1-WHAT BAFFLES ME???

I see instructions to download this and that. HOW ??? !!!!!! I can't download anything. SIXA takes over.

Is there a way to dial-up and stay connected before SIXA takes over?

Windows XP-SP2 Thought I had Norton Anti-Virus. Have nothing installed except that AdAware free program.(that found nothing)

This is getting sickening. I just did a complete 'factory restore' of laptop several days ago. (lost MSIE6 browser)

Mod Edit - Topic split off to receive attention it deserves - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 29 August 2005 - 12:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:26 AM

Hello zz4 and welcome to BC.

Its important to remove the phone line from your computer to avoid long distance and 1-900 charges until this virus is removed.

Do you have access to another computer that you can use to download and transfer programs to a CD or floppy to install them on the infected computer? If so follow the instructions in the following link.

How to submit a Hijackthis Log

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 zz4

zz4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:57 AM

Yes. I have other computers but generally use older ones. W98-ME Why? Use older when you still can?

Other than desktops was using an old CTX 300mhz laptop. I was retiring that when it still works.(spend money on it?)

I broke out a new (old)..never used Compaq laptop (700us) feeling I better use that before it is too obsolete.

XP--900mhz-258 memory to begin with..20gb hard-drive....

So as with any 'never used computer' I downloaded various programs. There was some serious problem and found the browser was defective and deleted Internet Explorer 6 and downloaded Firefox. At least in my case NOTHING would allow the re-install of IE6.(error--you have a newer browser already)

I was having Norton/Systemworks nightmares. I'm not sure about this company any more. I used their Systemworks 2002 with no problems but anything afterwords seems---problems--problems----

[their website seems a book of solutions to error codes]

Inslalled XP SP2.

I seemed to still be having too many problems so decided to do a FACTORY RESTORE with disc's that came with unit.

I did not want to risk errors so paid somebody to do it.

Worked wonderful after.(except why is Norton-Roxio GO-BACK still on it at boot-up?) ---and XP RESTORE will not work.....

Then I caught this SIXA thing. No matter what you do it takes over the dial-up. VERY FAST. Try to disable something in its dial-up properties and no luck. Delete it and its back in seconds.

A SEARCH for files with sixa in it just found one registry entry. No other sixa in C drive.

I only have AdAware downloaded. That finds nothing.

So this laptop is WORTHLESS.(as to dialing up and internet)

Tomorrow I'm trying to go to that computer place that did my FACTORY RESTORE and at least ask why a disabled NORTON ROXIO GO-BACK is still on it? Maybe I will get another restore?

I know this has nothing to do with SIXA. Thats my problem.--but would a restore get rid of it????

I'm no computer wizard. I do not have ability to manually edit things like the registry without EXACT clear instructions.

The problem I seem to be facing is this SIXA and nobody heard of it or has a solution. Any of anti-virus places hear of it? Spyware places?

I've caught virus's a few times but I think 100% of time there was some solution as it was recognized and somebody has figured out how it works and a cure.

SIXA--hmmmmm

The computer is worthless as is. I might be getting another RESTORE.(If that will fix it?)

Otherwise I think the 'HELP' here is to download one of your programs and show the results here?

I'd have to download it on another computer and try to transfer it to laptop.

The weather is HOT here and am not moving too fast !!!!! (plus in problem overload)

I hope I don't have a big phone bill already. The thing sets itself to dial 5 (I think) but the slight audio I hear its dialing more numbers than that. I'm not sure if its going out as it seems to re-dial until maybe the modem is burned out.

I guess it has a mind of its own but any dial up I have nothing set to dial outside of local.? (like dial one first or area code) It seems to lead to a web page as the 'start page' you chose is altered. I did not wait long enough to view that page.

So.....

If a RESTORE will not solve it====

This one is not very funny. I don't know yet about possible phone bills but if this SIXA is out there it renders your computer worthless and no solution.(except buy a new computer?) Work off-line.

Edited by zz4, 30 August 2005 - 02:03 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:31 AM

If possible, do what Leurgy suggested, and post a HijackThis log for examination.
The HJT Team should be able to clean up your problem, or you could do a clean install which would also get rid of your problem.
But if you don't want to do a clean install, posting a HJT log is your best option.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 zz4

zz4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:33 PM

I argued my case with computer shop and got another FACTORY RESTORE.

Am I wrong if you pay a place to do such a restore and discuss such THAT YOU WANT THE WHOLE HARD-DRIVE cleaned out such should be the case?

I don't know but got the thing back first with Roxio GO BACK still in it. Version 3.11.59 possibly not even usable with XP. People scream to me not to try to enable it nor install GO BACK again. It seemed to render XP RESTORE worthless. IS THIS CLEANING OUT THE HARD-DRIVE?

At least for now the SIXA dialer is gone. I'm sure its not the last disease caught so nice to find this messageboard and really appreciate the offer to help.

---and I'll download that program 'while I still can'.

-- thank you !!!!!

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:46 PM

I hope you have a good firewall or, better yet, a router.

You don't need to pay anybody to do a Restore on your computer. We can help with that.

Am I wrong if you pay a place to do such a restore and discuss such THAT YOU WANT THE WHOLE HARD-DRIVE cleaned out such should be the case?

There's two Restores with those computers. Destructive and Non-Desrtuctive. Sounds like you got the second one. That restores your Computer with all the settings and data intact.

IS THIS CLEANING OUT THE HARD-DRIVE?

Kind of. Depends.

Do a search for files and folders and search for:

*.tmp

and delete everything that comes up. Clean out your Tif's too

Edited by Leurgy, 01 September 2005 - 01:51 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 zz4

zz4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

I'll study your reply. (slow thinker)

I've been spending the whole day downloading-installing programs with a dial-up connection here. What a pain.

At times the phone connection dis-connects,etc.

This being used now an old Compaq laptop computer. Oddly its never really been used but sat in a box for years. I have a bad habit of using older things first.

900mhz AMD Windows XP 20GB hard-drive 256 memory to start with.... I guess its usable for awhile.....(for my simple needs)

Hate to repeat myself but broke this thing out and things were whacky. Eventually figured out Internet Explorer was corrupted. Delete and re-install..right??

In no way would it accept any download or install of Internet Explorer. YOU ALREADY HAVE A NEWER BROWSER.

Norton/Symantec Systemworks was all screwey. I'm not sure if they support anything anymore even if you never used up the year of anti-virus. It would seem the utilities would still work if Systemworks was 2002,2003,2004,2005. I see from their web site they are about to drop support for 2004. I was visiting their site trying some of error codes and solutions. Click an .exe to download some fix-it Symantec tool. Next thing I had the SIXA thing. (of coarse an odd place to catch it if that was the place)

I was playing with a MSN9 ISP disc as my ISP is MSN. I don't want their bloated software vs. just a DUN----- load one time and you get 10 extra 250mb Hotmail accounts that don't expire in 30 days.

That disc would not even install.

Could not surf to any secure sites...https://

I downloaded Firefox and most everything corrected itself--almost

Windows Updates? Need Internet Explorer.

So I did my delete of Internet Explorer in the middle of all this.

grrrr some things still whacky..

I had 3 'quick restore disks' and a driver disc. Not sure what might happen I paid a computer shop to do a FACTORY RESTORE with the understanding it seemed to wipe the hard-drive clean. (last time I stuck a restore disc into a computer it DIED and not worth spending money on it)

I got the thing back and WONDERFUL.---BUT---Why does it still have Roxio GO BACK 3 Version 3.11.59 on it ??? I don't even understand as it said something like NOT FOR SALE..INSTALLATION VERSION? It sat there DISABLED. ENABLE it? Load a GO BACK again? My little advise was NO as to anything.

Anybody could see it just by booting up---goes throgh the GO BACK 'thing'.....

== then I catch the SIXA thing.==

XP RESTORE does not work....

I have no idea if I'm right or wrong but was not computer shop supposed to clean everything off hard-drive? I'm told XP etc. on disc's and nothing stored in any hard-drive partition.

So I took it back. SCREAMED.

This time got it back with at least no GO BACK left on it.

It seems to be working ok. Got disturbed earlier today when things went crazy...even errors on boot-up...anti-virus quit...firewall..spyware quit...(at least enough error messages indicating problems)

Seems the CLOCK went back to years ago.

I downloaded AVAST. Zone Alarm. Spybot. AdAware.---and some MSN anti-spyware offered to MSN subscribers.(from Webroot) I'm not sure what here might conflict but have XP Firewall turned off now. As I'm writing this Zone Alarm keeps telling me 63.170.226.26 is trying to enter.

NO--I don't like to pay for computer shops. Smells like auto repair garage. Actually I'm on a disability check.

Just did not want to risk a laptop.

Free Stuff? Start adding up cost of all programs needed. Freeware seems to be getting rarer. Seems everybody trying to get rich. No...its not $5 or $10 but $50,etc.

Get outside of USA and a little expensive????

So again appreciate any help in future from here. I'm not 15 or 18 years old and anybody become a geek in short order? (maybe)

Re-Install's? eeeks grrrr What went wrong? hmmm can't figure that one out.......

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

Seems the CLOCK went back to years ago.

Best get a new Battery and lets start there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users