Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bueno

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 galileoaz

galileoaz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Greetings,

I just joined BleepingComputer. Combo Fix, which I downloaded from BleepingComputer, got rid of several problems that had been bugging my computer for more than a month.

I first learned about computers in 1959 at the U of Utah. I first worked with a computer (main frames) in 1961 when data from neutron scattering experiments was punched out on cards and then reduced to "scattering law" using an IBM computer that filled a room, more or less, and had to be air conditioned because of the heat it generated. Then in the Air Force I got a guy to write a program to do a Fourier transformation for X-Ray diffraction data. I learned to program in Fortran in grad school at the U of AZ. Used main frames for years. Gravity data and the data reduction program was input on cards till we got a terminal where we could enter the data remotely and run the program and get the results.

Then along came PC's which completely mystefied me at first. My first computer was a Commodore 64 with 64 kilobytes of memory and no hard drive. You could save data to tape or use their word processing program to save to a floppy disk. I learned to program in Basic which is much more forgiving than Fortran. In 1990 I got a PC with a DOS operating system and a 40 megabyte hard drive, yes 40 megabytes. I just ordered a new computer with a terrabyte hard drive.

I became a consultant, which means I lost my regular job, in 1985. I got some very sophisticated software in 1990 which you could do wonderful things with. For me it was filtering gravity and aeromagnetic data once you got it digitized on a grid which the software would do for you.

I retired in 2000 and now I fool around with many many photographs that I took during my professional career using programs that filter the digitized data along with other computer projects and go fly fishing on the Salmon River in Idaho.

Regards, Galileoaz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

Hello Galileoaz and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users