Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about my WD external HDD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 g0tvtec

g0tvtec

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

I used W7's backup utility to back up my files onto my WD external HDD and canceled in the middle of it. After I canceled the backup I manually deleted the shadow copies of my backup on my WD HDD so that I can restart. I noticed however that my external HDD has less free space than it did before I even started the backup. I made sure I deleted my backups and I also cleared the recycle bin in the WD HDD.

I went even further to add up all of my files on the HDD and it only added up to 571GB and when I look at the properties of the drive, it tell me that I have used up 571GB for "other files" yet I still have 178GB of "system image."
Where is this system image restored and how do I delete it to make up more space on my drive? I set up my computer to show hidden folders but I do not see this system image anywhere.

Edited by g0tvtec, 28 January 2010 - 03:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

well the only way i can figure to get rid of the hidden file is to reformat the drive but you would need to move the files on it to another drive before you do this, but this is a last resort.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users