Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix crash

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Diet of Worms

Diet of Worms

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

Last night I was running a scan on my computer with Combofix since I was getting Google redirects. It said there was some root key activity detected and had to restart my computer, but it never actually restarted. Screen was black but my CPU was running. Manually restarted and now my computerr doesn't do anything. Boots up tells me Windows could not start successfully and asks me in which mode I'd like to start in (safe mode, normal, reconfigure last known settings, etc.) I tried all three and if I did safe mode my computer would just restart, if I tried to restore or run normally I'd get a black screen.
Anyone know what I can do to fix this or how I can do a system restore?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:04 AM

Hello, Diet of Worms
Welcome to the Bleeping Computer Forums. My name is Thomas (Tom is fine), and I will be helping you fixing your problems.

If you do not make a reply in 5 days, we will have to close your topic.

You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favourites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic. The topics you are tracking can be found here.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. Doing so could cause changes to the directions I have to give you and prolong the time required. Further more, you should not be taking any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself.
  • Please reply using the button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.
  • Old topics are closed after 3 days with no reply, and working topics are closed after 5 days. If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just post back here so that we know you're still here.
  • Please set your system to show all files.
    Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
    Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
    Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
    Click Yes to confirm.

OK this file is big Print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

Two programmes to download

First

ISOBurner this will allow you to burn OTLPE ISO to a cd and make it bootable. Just install the programme, from there on in it is fairly automatic. Instructions

Second
  • Download OTLPE.iso and burn to a CD using ISO Burner. NOTE: This file is 292Mb in size so it may take some time to download.
  • When downloaded double click and this will then open ISOBurner to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to Non-Microsoft
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\_OTL\MovedFiles
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

If I've not posted back within 48 hrs., feel free to send a PM with your topic link. Thank you!

If I have helped you then please consider donating to continue the fight against malware Posted Image

#3 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.
If you need this topic reopened, please PM a staff member and we will reopen it for you (include the address of this thread in your request). This applies to the original topic starter only. Everyone else with similar problems, please start a new topic.
regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

If I've not posted back within 48 hrs., feel free to send a PM with your topic link. Thank you!

If I have helped you then please consider donating to continue the fight against malware Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users