Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

prove anti-virus isn't a government conspiracy.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Ok My last topic got locked because I asked a bad question. so lets ask a different one. How can I prove to my room mate that anti-virus protection on a windows vista computer is not a government conspiracy that is legal?

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

My suggestion. Let your friend do and believe as he pleases regarding his PC.

While sharing his network disable file and printer sharing on your machine. That should take care of any potential cross infections from his machine or any other PCs that may join the network.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

and change your workgroup name to something weird like MonkeyButt

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

alright I'll do that. I'll also make it clear that when it gets sick he is on his own for fixing it.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

You won't be able to prove anything to him.

He has his mind made up. There is nothing you can do to change it. The more you try, the more defensive he'll get. And then YOU will have to listen to his rants, you will get frustrated or angry, your blood pressure will go up over something that isn't worth getting your blood pressure up.
My advice, drop the subject. As you said, it will be his problem to deal with should he get infected.
And then he might blame the government or you or somebody else for purposely infecting his system.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 January 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

To go along with what Q-E said. The more you push, the more likely he will identify you as a government operative to subvert his freedom of choice in not using an A-V. :thumbsup: :trumpet:

EDIT: You could always start wearing a Tin-Foil Beanie in his presence. Then tell him it's 'just in case' they are after him. :flowers:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

You could always start wearing a Tin-Foil Beanie in his presence.

Posted Image
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users