Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem installing Windows 2000 Pro SP4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DavidH2009

DavidH2009

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

I have a PC that is running Windows 2000 Pro SP3 that I need to upgrade to SP4. However, every time I attempt to run the SP4 install, eventually this error pops up: Service Pack 4 Setup Error The file c:\winnt\servicepackfiles\i386\tapi3.dll is open or in use by another application. Close all other applications and then click Retry.

After closing everything in Task Manager that can be closed, the error message still pops up. I booted the PC in safe mode and tried running the service pack install and the same error message still popped up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

What is tapi3.dll

Windows Process Description:

File Description: The file tapi3.dll is a component of Telephony Application Programming Interface (TAPI), a Microsoft Windows API that provides computer telephony integration and enables the PC's running Microsoft Windows to use telephone services.

The file tapi3.dll supports 32-bit based machines and was first included with Microsoft Windows 95; with the first TAPI version being TAPI 1.4. The file tapi3.dll typically supports both connections from individual computers and Local Area Network LAN connections helping any number of computers.

TAPI has a slightly different set of functionalities. The integrated media control was the most significant addition in this TAPI3.x.

The abstract model of phone lines and telephony applications provided by Telephony Application Programming Interface (TAPI) are still heavily impacted by the specific behavior of the underlying hardware. The troubleshooting performance issue usually requires both the computer software and the hardware vendors to work together. Because there is almost a relationship between the TAPI Service Provider (TSP) interface and the TAPI2.x interface, working together is often easier if the application is designed using TAPI 2.x. Experience with TAPI 3.x varies significantly between hardware vendors.

The file tapi3.dll usually runs in C/C++ and requires applications to make heavy use of C style pointer arithmetic. It makes Telephony Application Programming Interface (TAPI) fast and easy to access from C/C++ applications.

On the other hand, the file tapi3.dll was designed with a Component Object Model (COM) interface. This was created with the intent of making it accessible for managed languages like Visual Basic, VBScript, Java or other environments that provide easy access to COM but do not deal with C-style pointers.

Author: Microsoft Corporation

Are you hooked up to a fax machine?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DavidH2009

DavidH2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

Not necessarily a fax machine but this computer does have an internal modem which is plugged into a phone line.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

Is that what you are using for your internet connection?
If it isn't, try unplugging it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DavidH2009

DavidH2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

No, it's used for a shipping program for my company. I disabled the modem and both COM ports in the Device Manager, rebooted, ran the service pack install again and the same message still popped up.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

Go to administrative tools-services. Stop and disable the telephony service. Reboot and install SP4. Don't forget to turn it back on after installing SP4 or your modem will not work.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users