Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping Data from old HD to new comp.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tomymorgan

tomymorgan

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Hi ,

I recently got a nasty trojan on my old Comp which has served me well since 2006.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290350/follow-up-to-trojan-in-my-system/

This Prompted an to go and buy a new computer - something that was long overdue but i was putting off for as long as possible.

Anyways I have my new comp and If all goes well I am hoping it will serve me well for the next few years as well. and I'll try fixxing my old comp when i get some advice from someone on what i should do ..

Anyways' My question though is the following :

My old comp is a: Dell Optiplex GX620 with an SATA HD. Running: XP Pro SP3

My new comp is a: Gateway DX 4300-03 http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-d...7-33699591.html Running: Windows7

I am going to want to Transfer all the Data from my OLD Comp and my NEW Comp. There is a free SATA bay avail;able on the new gateway. If I add the old compromised Hardrive iinto the new comp will i be running the risk of infecting the new Comps Harddrive as well ? Ifso is there a way to swap the info by adding it to the free bay on the new comp without risk ? Ideally howver I would simply just like to add the old harddrive into the new comp and just run things from there and just leave it in there . But i have never had 2 harddrives running diferent OS's on a single comp this way before and dont know exactly how that would work .. Would it boot from the new drive with win7 or the old one with Xp etc..

Well this is my quandry. with a little good advice from some of you advanced users I'm certain i will make this work somehow though ...

Cheers'

TM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

You did not say to what extent you were infected
It is possible, if it was severe enough, that you will transfer the infection to your new computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 tomymorgan

tomymorgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

You did not say to what extent you were infected
It is possible, if it was severe enough, that you will transfer the infection to your new computer

Well I have a post that I still havent received any help for yet here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290350/follow-up-to-trojan-in-my-system/

I couldnt afford to wait any longer and it was high time to get a new comp anyways..

So I dont know the extent of the virus and what it may be capable of...

I have an external drive to backup files with and i am beginning to do that now.

However I have never put 2 harddrives into a single comp which is iddeally what i would prefer doing as it would involve alot less work.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Just a comment on your post in HJT forum...did you follow any administrative instructions which are posted there?

They exist so that order can come forth from chaos, IMO.

Louis

#5 tomymorgan

tomymorgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

Just a comment on your post in HJT forum...did you follow any administrative instructions which are posted there?

They exist so that order can come forth from chaos, IMO.

Louis

Well, I in my Virus post which i linked to above I was instructed not to add anymore posts on that topic and to wait patiently for an Admin to review my case and advise me on how to proceed.
I did mistakenly add another post after that before i read it. but have been waiting for a response ever since.

Honestly I am finding myself giving people alot of explanations and not getting a single answer on a single question i have posted on this forum site.

every time I make a post asking for advice There seem to be alot more people interested in telling me I'm not following some rule or something rather than addressing the problems and questions i am having.

Seriously WTF ?

Am is anyone gonna give me some help OR am i just gonna get scolded all day ?

Edited by tomymorgan, 28 January 2010 - 04:39 PM.

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

A simple, no-frills method would be to backup content from the old HD onto the External HD, as intended.

After you have done that, right after you connect the External HD to your new PC, scan the entire HD using the best Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware program you have. If the results are positive, start transferring the files from the External to your new computer's HD.

This way you only transfer (backup) data you need and not have to worry about the OS installed in the old HD.

After you are done with the entire process, you can choose to FORMAT the old HD and use it with your new PC.

Just my 2cents. :thumbsup:

Edited by ReviverSoft, 28 January 2010 - 06:00 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

Seeing how you are going to solve your problem by other means, I will close your HJT post
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#8 tomymorgan

tomymorgan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:08 AM

Seeing how you are going to solve your problem by other means, I will close your HJT post

Garman please dont close my HJT post !!!!!!! !! !! - I have been waiting for over a week for a reply

- I still need to find a solution to that trojan !!

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

I have merged all of your posts together in that topic
If you continue to add post it puts you further back in the rotation
Do not post to it anymore until you get a response
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users