Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to take a list of computer names, ping them all, output results to file

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Anyone know of a product (or script) that can do this?

I'm just trying to verify which machines in our AD are still in production and which ones are just old computers that have been replaced and out of production. I'm thinking this would be a good place to start - just seeing which machines are on, and then track down the ones that aren't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Did this and look what I found.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

My mistake for not being clearer. I can do a google search and find that out all day long.

I'm looking for solutions the community bc has found, used and liked. Recommendations. What users here think are best practices.

I can trust google to give me lots of information. I can't trust it to let me know what the best information to use is. That's why I come to bc.

#4 whoiam55

whoiam55

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

google for angry IP scanner, it might suite your needs

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

oh ok I have never had a need to do what you are looking to do so I wouldn't be able to recommend one over another. If others have then they will post here. I'd give it a few days and if no one answers you in this forum, there is a software forum you could ask.

You could also use a few of the freeware programs, see if any tickle your fancy. If they don't uninstall them. I've done that when looking for different free programs. But I also use a registry cleaner to make sure all of the program(s) is gone...shhh don't tell anyone. :thumbsup:

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

Angry IP Scanner is a great tool and I've used it before, but it's not what I need.

In our AD, I've exported a list of all the computers in our domain to a text file. I'd like a program or a script that will read each computer from that text file and ping that computer name. I need a report saying (a) was the ping successful, (:thumbsup: what's the ip of that computer name.

I had hoped it'd be a simple script I can copypasta from the net, but it doesn't seem like it. I'll keep watch over this topic for a few days and see if anyone has some recommendations, then.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

Is this post what you are looking for? Sounds like it to me. Specially response #9.

#8 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

That is exactly what I asked for. You, sir, are awesome.

I don't know what language that is (it doesn't look like the vbscript I'm only passingly familiar with), so I'm not even really able to understand the syntax. Can you either point me to someplace where I can learn the syntax (and language name), or tell me what I need to put failures in (if no response, then output "no response")?

I know, beggars and choosers... But even if you tell me just the language name, bet I can go find how to put a basic if/then statement on my own.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

I know enough about programming to sorta/kinda know what I am looking at when I look at the code. So I have no idea. You should read Responses #17 & #19. All the commands he is using are DOS commands.

If you type for /? at a command prompt it has like 5 pages of info.

The only other thing I can think of would be email that poster. You'd have to register and login to that site but he'd be the best person to answer any questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users