Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network....maybe?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flyinlion

flyinlion

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:56 PM

I have an older comp. that I would like to scrub the drive on and set it up for my 6 year old to play games and stuff on. Before scrubbing I want to transfere some files and stuff to my other machine. The older comp. doesn't have a CD burner and I would rather not spend a week putting everything onto about 100 floppies. (some rather large image collections, family photos and such). Is there a fast, easy way to network the 2 together temporarily without doing the router, USB Hub thing? Can I just hook up a LAN cable or something direct from one to the other, do the transfere and be done with it?

Thanks ,
FL
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:24 PM

What OS do you have on each computer. You maybe able to use a Ethernet or USB cable. Run the Network Wizard. If you have a Ethernet port on each computer use a cross over cable. You could pull the HD on the old PC set it to slave and temp install it on the new computer. When it comes up just drag and drop to the appropriate folder.
FYI: I have twin 6 year old. Neopets.com is kid safe and they have a ton of age appropriate game and activities.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 flyinlion

flyinlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

acklan, thanks for the quick reply. Both systems are running XP Home and I'm pretty sure both have an ethernet port, (I know for sure the newer one does), so I was hoping to do it with just a direct cable connection. Is there a difference between a cross over cable and an ethernet cable? The latter I already have and it would be nice to not have to run out and buy something else.
Thanks for the tip on Neopets, we'll give it a try. Twins huh, bet you've go your hands full. :thumbsup: My girl spends most of her time on PBS kids and Nick.com.
Luck,
FL
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:55 AM

The "ethernet cable " is either a patch or a crossover cable. If you have a crossover it will say so or have an X O printed on the ends. You need a crossover cable to do what you want. Unless you have a router, switch, or hub then you can use a patch cable to connect to the device. The hub/router will make the change for you. In XP the Network Wizard will walk you thru it. You will hae to set your drive/folder to share to connect. They both have to be on the same workgroup (ex. WORKGROUP) with unquie host name like ..1st computer HOST "dad1" 2nd computer HOST "daughter2".
Hope this helps.

John

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:27 AM

Ebay crossover

Ebay routers

#6 flyinlion

flyinlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:44 PM

Ok, all my cables are patch. Both computers are connected to my cable modem thru a 4 port router. I ran the network setup wizard on both machines, followed all the instructions but when I pull up my network places neither machine shows up on the other. Both have the same work group name and unique host names. Drives on both are set to share. What am I missing here?
Tired and frustrated...going to bed.
Steve
-Benjamin Franklin

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

Try to map a frive from the tool menu.

#8 flyinlion

flyinlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:04 PM

Sorry if it seems I haven't followed up on this, Got some metal in my eye at work the other day have been out of commission until now.
I tried to map a network drive but am not sure what to do. It gives me the option to pick a drive letter and a folder. Chose a letter but don't know which folder/s to look for. Also, out of curriosity, I clicked on Disconect Network Drive and it said there were no drives to disconect. This seemed odd and probably significant in some way but don't know what. This is all making me feel very stupid.

Steve

By the way. I noticed thru another post that you are in Baton Rouge. since you've been online, assuming you rode out the storm ok. Great! I lived in the burbs outside N.O. (Jefferson Parrish. River Ridge. early 70's) for a few years when I was a kid. I always wanted to go back, lots of good memories there, now probably washed away. Very sad thing to see the pictures on the news and wonder about old friends that I never kept up with. All I could do is give what little I could spare to the Red Cross and keep the good memories alive. Hope things are wel with you and your family.
-Benjamin Franklin

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:41 PM

I sorry you were injured. Hope all is well.
The floder you need to map is the drive on the other computer. Double click on the WORKGROUP (MyWORKGROUP) and select the drive on the other computer. You must make sure the other computer has sharing turned on for the folder or drive you want to access. Then pick a drive letter.

Nice to meet a home boy :thumbsup: but where you use to live may still be under several feet of water. You take carry

#10 flyinlion

flyinlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:37 PM

I kind of figured it was something like that. The problem is that when I click on the workgroup folder on the new machine, known as Jester, only Jester shows up. No sign of the older machine, known as Camille. When I do the same on Camille, both machines show up in the work group folder but none of the shared folders are there under Jester. So either way, there are no drive folders available to map on either computer, at least that's the way I see it. I know it's not proper for security but I have set the entire Drive C: to be shared on both computers, just to see if they would show up. I know it's probably some simple little thing I'm missing or don't know about. I'm becoming obsessed with making these 2 infernal machines talk to each other when what I should really do is run out and spend the 20 bucks or so for the damn crossover cable, make the direct connection and be done with it. :thumbsup:
Thanks for all your help on this, man. I know it'll sink in eventually. :flowers:
-Benjamin Franklin

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:00 AM

Are you logged on as administrator? Go to user settings and make sure your ID has admin rights.
Big Charity off Tulane Ave has 10 feet of water at the ambulance ram. Bad stuff. I am a fire fighterand we are on 36 hour shifts until futher notice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users