Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The paid version of malware bytes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BSW

BSW

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

It seems pretty inexpensive.

Anyone been using it? Thoughts?
BSW
Strength and Conditioning Coach, Northern Alliance Mixed Martial Arts Competition Team (Join us on Facebook!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

Have heard the real time protection is pretty good. But can generate some pop-ups that may be confusing to some. It acts as a bit of a firewall too. It will show blocked intrusion attempts from known questionable IP`s, possibly whole Domains.
This is going on second hand info from people I know who use the paid version.

Hoping someone will chime in who use`s the full version.

#3 BSW

BSW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Well its more for me than anyone, so I don't mind some nebulous popups as I can usually figure em out.
BSW
Strength and Conditioning Coach, Northern Alliance Mixed Martial Arts Competition Team (Join us on Facebook!)

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:17 AM

I don't think there will be much argument that MBAM is pretty good to have on your system. I have a paid for copy that I got when SuperAntiSpyware Pro wouldn't work with the Windows 7 RC, but have gone back to SAS on all my computers now that it does.

However, I do keep a copy of the free MBAM on each computer for a quick backup scan whenever I feel it may be necessary.

FWIW. My protection consists of Windows Firewall, Avast 5 antivirus (free), and SAS Pro - backed up with WinPatrol Plus, ThreatFire, and Windows Defender, as well as the free MBAM. Works well for me with negligible popups.

Computer protection has always been a personal thing, so try stuff out and stick with what works for you. On a personal nag, LOL, always backup everything you would be devasted to lose in a crash - you can always reinstall Windows but personal data is a different ballgame.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 BSW

BSW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

Thanks, and ya, I am always preaching backups to my clients... some of them even listen. 10 years ago I had to hit people over the head with a bag of hammers to get them to buy an antivirus, today is the same thing for an automated backup (lets face it, 9 out of 10 people forget to do manual ones).

I love avast btw. It seems to stop everything that nails my clients. But I heard a few good things about MBAM paid, and I use it so much I thought it would be nice to support them with a purchase.
BSW

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

One option with the paid for version is the Ignore List. Instead of deselecting things that it flags you just add them to the list
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

Yes. I think that is a great sentiment.

There are so many excellent freebies out there, if they help us why not help them with a donation. Keeps things good for everyone.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

That's precisely why I bought the paid versions of MBAM and Avast. Let 'em know that I care!

#9 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

i dont cae if malwarebytes dose nothing when you buy it, im going to buy it no matter what. i am shocked that they offer it for free, its by far the best program i have ever used in my life.
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

#10 mtr18103

mtr18103

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

I bought Malwarebytes real-time protection for four computers and love it.

I did have trouble running this with Avast 5.0 the new version. All four PCs freeze with real-time protection enabled on both programs. I switched to AVG 9.0 and they run very well together.

One caveat, You will have a few IP blocks that can be confusing. For instance, I am a gamer, some games use Punkbuster, this is an app that makes sure no one is cheating on the game servers. Every time I exit a game using Punkbuster, MBAM.exe thinks the IP is a malicious site. A little window pops up, no big deal. A new user may Panic.

MBAM.exe IP protection will block any attempts at a browser hijacking. This is big if you ever get hijacked by a Trojan.

I have also clicked links from Google without fully realizing they are malicious sites and MBAM.exe blocked it. I would not run without it now,since I have become paranoid about this stuff.

Malwarebytes realtime protection saved me on one PC. I could see messages every 5 minutes or so that an IP address was being blocked. My scans were showing nothing, but I knew something was up. After taking advice from this board I installed Super Anti-spyware and it found the infection with a full scan. I forget what it was but AVG and Malwarebytes did not pick it up. The IP protection from Malwarebytes alerted me something was up though.

Regards,

#11 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

really? malwarebytes didnt pick something up? i mean, it could happen, but it had to be a newer virus or something for malwarebytes not to catch it. i have been saved many times because of malwarebytes. i removed over 7 rouge programs from my moms computer about 6 months ago (they were really old, malwarebytes took them out really fast) malwarebytes is an awesome program and everyone should get it

#12 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

really? malwarebytes didnt pick something up? i mean, it could happen, but it had to be a newer virus or something for malwarebytes not to catch it.

Hi, you seem to be under the impression that Malwarebytes detects all but the very latest forms of malware. That is a very bold statement to make. Malwarebytes does an amazing job at detecting and removing malware, however, it can't catch it all and so an additional scan such as SUPERanti-spyware should always be run before/after a malwarebytes scan.

#13 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Speaking of multi scanning - don't forget ThreatFire.

Auto updating, realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and free. What more could you ask?

Well worth having on your system IMHO.

http://www.threatfire.com/download/

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#14 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

well i haveL AVG Free, SpywareBlaster, Kaspersky virus Removal Tool, and MalwareBytes AM.

i know it dont catch everything, but it does a GREAT job at what it does. I was kind of "uping" it a bit with that lol.

Malwarebytes is the best program i have used so far though

#15 mtr18103

mtr18103

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

I agree, I love Malwarebytes and I do not mind paying for software when it runs well. Thats why I bought it. However, it does not scan inside compressed files and it will miss something from time to time. That is why I scan with both SAS and MBAM.

I hope all this feedback helps. I was plagued with Malware on two PCs last month and Malwarebytes saved me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users