Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of death on bootup - no access to desktop at all

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NeilS

NeilS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:51 AM

Hi all

I got hit with a Trojan last night - thread here: Trojan horse: Backdoor.Generic12.GOG.dropper and having done a GMER rootkit scan, I'm left with a black screen no matter what I do.

Even in safe mode, I get the black screen with "safe mode in the corners" and all I can do is use task manager. Am also getting a dialogue box that says "FFE.EXE has stopped working ..." - could be a virus offspring or something else.

Can no longer get on the web via any browser, so downloading fixes appears to be a challenge.

I don't have the original Vista discs so is there any way to fix the black screen or at least retrieve all my files (via some kind of cable or USB card)?

Thanks
NS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

Why don't you post back in your original thread?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 NeilS

NeilS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Because the focus of my original post is on the virus and all-round fix ... whereas I wanted to mention it here (in the Vista) forum because I'd like to think the black screen issue is more likely to be resolved here than back there. Perhaps I'm wrong ...

Anyway, I've created a CD instance of Ubuntu and managed to grab all of my files. Now I just need to fix the black screen or do some kind or Vista repair (I don't have the original discs) and then sort out the virus.

Thanks
NS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users