Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan horse: Backdoor.Generic12.GOG.dropper and GMER rootkit = black

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 NeilS

NeilS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hi everyone - this is my first post here, so thanks in advance for any advice.

Long story cut short (HP PC running Vista Business (SP1 I think)):

Virus appeared last night and AVG couldn't do much about it. Used Snagit to take snapshots of the names, etc for future reference (or so I thought).

Have searched these forums but can't find anything that helps.

Followed instructions from another forum = downloaded and ran DDS - saved both files to desktop. Downloaded and ran GMER - but it froze. Disabled AVG resident shield and re-ran. Completed more of the scan this time and told me some tampering had gone on. Clicked ok but it froze. Rebooted and got black screen of nothingness.

Safe mode also goes to black screen - with "safe mode" in the four corners, but seemingly no way of getting to the desktop, therefore I can't find a way to run any apps. Popup says there's a problem with "ffe.exe" not working (could be a virus itself I guess). Can use task manage to launch firefox but it will only allow me to use certain sites, e.g. Google - but not actually go to any other pages.

Can't do much in DOS either.

Also can't find any way to get to the desktop, therefore I can't grab the DDS logs, etc.

Priorities are:

1) Find a way to backup all personal files/documents. How is this possible? Can't seem to do anything via DOS. Have a couple of USB readers but they're not recognised in DOS. Don't have an external HHD but could get one.

2) Don't have Vista disks so can't figure out how to do any kind of repair.

3) Have another laptop (which I'm using to type this, etc) and am keen to see if there's any way I can link this to the infected machine to grab files safely - is there a cable for this?

Have also search this forum (and others) for black screen, etc - but haven't found anything that I can really do so far.

What else do you recommend? I've already lost several hours ...

Apologies for not being able to post logs, but I'm at a loss as to how to retrieve them right now.

Thanks again.

NS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users