Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer doesn’t recognize CD / DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hurliman

hurliman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:41 AM

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094 and a while back my DVD-ROM drive stopped recognizing CDs/DVDs that I inserted. I’m running Windows XP Media Center and the DVD drive is simply listed as a DVD SuperMulti drive.

A handful of times I was able to actually use the Microsoft Fix It application to get the drive to work, but one day even that stopped working – now it says “Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services has encountered a runtime error.”

Since then I’ve manually deleted the UpperFilters and LowerFilters as suggested by MS support, I’ve re-uploaded drivers from the Toshiba website, and I’ve looked for relevant errors in Event Viewers (I didn’t see anything related to “disk” or “drive.”)

When I put a CD/DVD into the drive it sounds like it’s reading it (turns, whirs, clicks, vrooms, etc.:thumbsup: but nothing pops up. When I look in “My Computer” no drive shows up (whether or not there’s a disk), and I don’t see the drive recognized in the Device Manager.

Any thoughts on why this could be occurring and what I could do to fix it? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

Check to be sure it is being seen in the BIOS. That will let you know on a low level it is still communicating with the system.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

This is not a solution, but I have been experiencing this myself since up-grading from windows XP to Windows 7 Home Premium.
I last used Roxio 6.1 and had no problems, however Roxio 6.1 is not compatable with Windows 7.
There seems to be a lot of issues with DVD burners or CD-R drives with Windows Vista (all versions) and Windows 7 (All versions)
In most cases the upper or lower filters are not even present in the CDROM settings of the registry. (So thats not always the problem or solution)
So it also appears there isn't a commen FIX to address this commen problem with DVD Drives or CD-R Drives.
As for firmware upgrades. it really truely depends on how old the drive is and how much of a fix the firmware update represents.
There are also a lot of issues with error 0xC0AA020F which regards the drive in question as being media mismatched= The media's speed is incompatible with the device. This may be caused by using higher or lower speed media than the range of speeds supported by the device.
Also Error 0X80780048 is a commen back up issue.
The MSDN web site has a link to a hiarchery of sub links concerning IMAPI drives.
Here is the link to the IMAPI return values page, you can work backwards from this link if needed, just use the links on the left side in the hiarchary.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc835244(VS.85).aspx

The main menu is at this link (it explains ISO9660, Juliet format and UDF)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366450(VS.85).aspx

Good luck!

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 January 2010 - 04:18 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 hurliman

hurliman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I looked in the BIOS and saw the drive wasn't being recognized, so popped the drive out, blew things out a little, and popped it back in. What do you know, it worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users