Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I may have an infection,Montior cuts off.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 goldenchild

goldenchild

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:35 AM

For the last week or so, when I first cut on my computer I have some issues with the monitor staying on. At first I thought it was off completely but when I look at the screen it is still on but faded out. I usually just cut the power button on the monitor off and then back on, that has to happen at least three times before I can use the computer without any issue.

I have recently downloaded some things; a wallpaper from the net (I deledted it because I didn't like the graphics), dvix and some other applications that came with it, including norton which I deleted. I've already updated and ran Malware Bytes Anti Malware. I've also updated and ran my virus scan. Nothing was detected with Malware and my virus scan only detected potential threats that has been deleted. I've scanned a second time and nothing was detected. Please assist me if possible.

Edited by boopme, 29 January 2010 - 03:03 PM.

Golden Lucks "Gifted and Talented"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freedie

freedie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:27 AM

Hi,

I am not an expert at such things; but ...

If your PC is running normally and you are using a CRT monitor as opposed to a flat screen, this effect can be caused by switching to energy-saving bulbs in your computer room.

I know because I experience the same in two locations.

Good luck; and sorry if I am suggesting garbage!

Eddie

#3 whiteac2k4

whiteac2k4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

Well if the picture comes back on after you turn it off and turn it back on. Then my guesstimate would be your monitor is on the way out the door. Other then that It could be power issues. However I dont believe this is a Malware or Virus issue. Maybe some other xperts can chime in.

#4 Assimilator

Assimilator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hi,
...... you are using a CRT monitor as opposed to a flat panel,

Fixed. :thumbsup:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

As this appears not to be Malware i am moving this to External hardware..to put more eyes on it
What is your Operating system?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

Try (temporarily...a different monitor for a reasonable period of time. If it doesn't exhibit the same symptoms, your monitor is headed to a better life at the recycle center.

Alternately...take your monitor and temporarily attach it to a different system. If display has problems, it's the monitor.

Louis

#7 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

Thank you for the advice. I do not have another monitor to use at the time, so unfortunately i'll have to deal with this situation until I can purchase one.

This is a flat screen monitor using Windows XP.
Golden Lucks "Gifted and Talented"

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

Don't you have any friends, associates, etc...with systems?

No systems at workplace?

A visit to a computer repair shop...if you really don't know anyone with a monitor that you can access long enough to verify/refute the hypothesis that it's a monitor problem...is an alternative.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users