Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installation of the Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 copyman

copyman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:48 AM

I'm just a little parinoid about editing the registry. I've printed the tutorial here on installing the Recovery Console.
Its this last part I'm not sure about #5
Do I just click on the line to edit "SecurityLevel" and enter 1 into the edit box that opens and save the change?
thank you

Remove the prompting of a password

When the Recovery Console starts it will ask for your Administrator password before continuing. In many cases when you have XP pre installed on your computer the Recovery Console will not recognize your Administrator's password. In these situations it is possible to edit a registry setting so that the Recovery Console does not ask for a password. This setting works on both Windows XP Home and Pro editions.

To change this setting do the following:

1.Click on the Start button.

2.Click on the Run option

3.Type regedit.exe in the open field and press the OK button.

4.Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

5.Change the value of SecurityLevel value to 1

6.Close regedit

7.Reboot your computer.
Now the Recovery Console will no longer ask for a password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:50 AM

Yes. Double click to be exact, or right click, then "Modify"

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for posting that. It is good to know that so I can make the change before Recovery Console is needed, since once it is needed, it would probably be hard to get to the registry. I do not know if my system would be affected by that since I don't think my XP would be considered preinstalled, but I figure it can't hurt to make the change just in case so thanks.

#4 copyman

copyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:11 AM

Thanks for the reply, Done and done! Hope I never have to use it but its there if I do.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

:thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users