Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msi.dll question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dave76

dave76

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:26 PM

When trying to start new programs just downloaded, an error message pops up and reads the application failed to start because msi.dll was not found. Reinstalling this program may fix the problem. Last week I had a viris and reinstalled windows, but this thing just doen't seem to be operating properly. One other problem I'm have is, when tring to scroll up or down, either with the mouse wheel or the arrows, it moves real slow, and I've adjusted some settings but to no avail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:48 PM

You can get msi.dll here:
msi.dll
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dave76

dave76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:29 PM

I downloaded it, now how do I install it.

#4 dave76

dave76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:44 PM

OK I got it installed, now I'm getting a message that says ordinal 280 not found in msi.dll library. I'm ready to smash this computer.

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:04 AM

The ordinal 280 could not be found in the Dll msi.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this mesage when trying to instal programs on a comp that was messed up with virus's. All clean but the windows installer wont instal and i get the message above.

Downloaded msi.dll already and copied into Window/system - no help there

This machine in a dell machine (still in warranty, but as usual desperately needs comp for work and cannot wait the 10-14 days for dell just to re-install a windows)

running win xp home

Installed a newer version of windows installer 3.0 - no help

No recovery disk with PC (and there is no validation label covering the side of the case to viod the warrantly if i open it either????)

Short of installing windows all over again, anything else i can do or anyone had another experience like this??

Hola hoop
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Hola hoop
Find all posts by Hola hoop
Add Hola hoop to Your Buddy List

#2 08-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Midknyte
Stark Raving MOD Join Date: May 2002

if there are/were viruses, there is no way to tell which files got corrupted. if this is a business system, where is their backup image (ghost, true image, etc)? if the system is that important, they need to have a contingency plan. Not "call Hola Hoop if something goes wrong, then blame him".

dells come with windows cds and drivers, not recovery cds. you'd have to do a clean build. I think you'll save more time by doing a clean install. even if you fix this msi error, there is no telling what other roadblocks you'll run into.

Hope this helps you :thumbsup: :flowers:
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users