Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to check hardware performance in thinkpad x41

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

I have a thinkpad x41 that showed extremely slow performance and frequent program crashes out of the box. This is a tablet pc w/ a 4200 rpm HD [Hitachi C4K60] and a 1.6 GHz dothan cpu, so I didn't expect high performance, but it was unstable and slow to the point of being useless. I started out w/ 512 RAM. Lenovo added an additional 1024 RAM at one point, which made absolutely no difference either in performance speed or program [explorer, journal at that point] stability. It then went back to lenovo service and was returned improved but still not good.

Lenovo provides a utility - Lenovo Toolbox [pc-doctor] - that runs inside the OS and checks CPU, RAM, HD, etc performance and all reports are OK. At this point I'd like to check out the hardware's performance & configuration using 3rd party software. Also according to my reading, thorough tests of memory and HD need to be done from a boot disk. I'd like to check things like the % of bad sectors in the HD, read/write HD times, the percentage of hits/misses in the hard drive cache, and get accurate bus speeds. I'd also like to run performance benchmarks on the system as a whole.

I've searched Lenovo support & used the Toolbox, Belarc, and other tools to gather hardware specs. I've gotten different reports on CPU [1.5, 1.6 GHZ], amount of RAM, bus speeds etc. from different utilities so I'm currently using the Toolbox specs as my most likely to be correct. I've downloaded windows memory diagnostic tool 'cause it's free and somewhere to start. The Drive Fitness Utility Hitachi provides doesn't work on the C4K series.

Can someone recommend a diagnostic utility or utilities to check the hardware's health & configuration and also suggest what benchmarks to run?

Tablet specs:
Intel Pentium M processor 1.6 GHz
IBM Motherboard w/ Intel Alviso-G i915GM & Intel i910GML/i1915GMS chipsets
1536 PC2-4200 DDR DRAM
Hitachi Travelstar® C4K60
Intel 82915GM/GMS Integrated Graphics Device
WinXP SP3 tab ed
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

These two should be enough:

Futuremark Software

Passmark Software

Edited by ReviverSoft, 27 January 2010 - 08:16 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Thanks ReviverSoft

Following the Futuremark link I downloaded the trial [standard] version of PC Mark 5, which is geared for the home user. The trial version lets you run the system suite which tries to test performance in areas that a home computer would be used - text editing, picture viewing, audio compression/decompression, video encoding, web page rendering, encryption/decryption & a physics & 3D test for games. To run the hardware components tests you have to buy the advanced or prof versions.

System Requirements include DirectX 9.0c, Visual C++ 2005 Redist, IE6, & Windows Media Encoder 9. I had Visual C++ 2005 Redist [2 diff versions] & DirectX 9.0c installed and hoped the encoder was only needed for the video encoding test 'cause I don't want to install it. I don't know yet if you can choose which tests to run/omit because there was a glitch in installation.

On installation I had the option to let PC Mark install DirectX9.0c_2005, which I declined since I'm pretty sure I updated DirectX after 2005. However, PC Mark won't run - it can't find d3dx9.25.dll I've got d3dx9_28.dll & d3dx9_30.dll in system 32, so I don't know if I should reinstall & let DirectX9.0c_2005 be installed. I'm wondering if system file protection will let the newer dll be overwritten w/ an older dll, but maybe it will just add it to the mix.

At the PassMark site Burnin Test seemed to be the most appropriate application, altho it's aimed at those who test a lot of computer hardware. There's a 30 day trial download, so I can try it, depending on its system requirements.

Edited by MaryBet82, 28 January 2010 - 08:43 PM.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users