Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A hard disk could not be found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BenBamBoo

BenBamBoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hello there,

I have a relatively new PC with Windows 7 on. All has been running smoothly until last Saturday when it failed to boot. There had been no issues when it was shut down or any warning signs. We used the PC on Friday evening and it was fine. On start up I got the message

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

I'm no computer expert so here are the simple steps I have taken so far to check what the problem is.

1) Entered BIOS, changed boot priority to boot from hard drive first - same problem
2) Inserted Windows 7 disk and ran the repair option from it - Root cause came back as "A hard disk could not be found. If a hard disk is installed, it is not responding"
3) Opened tower, checked all connections, gave it a thorough clean - same problem
4) Changed lead connecting HDD to motherboard in case it was a problem with that (hopeful thinking) - same problem.

I am now out of options that my limited PC knowledge allows me to explore. I think the problem lies either with my motherboard or, hopefully, my HDD. Does anyone have any experience of this problem and know of a fix? My guess is that I need to buy a new HDD which wouldn't be too bad, but I don't want to spend that money if either the problem is fixable or lies elsewhere.

Regards

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

I suggest that you run the correct diagnostic on the hard drive...before doing anything else.

Take a physical look at the hard drive...see who the manufacturer is...download the appropriate diagnostic and run the "long test" on your drive.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

I just saw that same message earlier today on a system I volunteered to take a look at. The "look" didn't turn out well for the owner, the drive reflected physical damage, with no access to anything on it possible.

Do you hear clicking noises when trying to use the system? In any case...run the diagnostic appropriate for that drive, after moving any data files on it to some other media.

You can move data files by temporarily attaching the hard drive as a secondary drive on another system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 January 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#3 BenBamBoo

BenBamBoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for your reply Hamluis.

Unfortunately im not getting anything out of the PC. How do I manage to download any diagnostics to run on the hard drive?

Or am I misreading this and I need to connect my hard drive to another PC to run the diagnostic on?

Regards

Ben

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

Is the drive being recognized by the BIOS? That is being it is listed under a setting like "standard cmos settings"?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users