Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to burn a windows memory diagnostic tool cd?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

How exactly do I burn the windiag.iso file that mtinst.exe creates to CD? Do I simply use the "burn Iso File" option of my burning software [Nero 6]? Do I rename the file to remove the .iso extension, and then "burn Iso file", as in the instructions for creating slipstreamed installation cds? Do I need to use Nero's "create bootable CD" option and then burn the iso file?

Any advice on how best to use WMDT? MS suggests using the menu options to turn the CPU cache off and to run the "extended memory map" rather than the default standard map.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

Various ways to transform .iso files to bootable CDs: How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm.

Louis

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

Thanks hamluis, but I didn't find any info re burning iso images while making a boot disk following the link.
Except for this info - "If you are extracting to a hard disk, you should extract to a dedicated directory (not to the “root” of the hard disk). E.g. you should create a directory rather than using c:\ or d:\. Note that you will loose the option to boot from the cd/dvd (provided this was included in the ISO-image in the first place)." - which I don't understand. I bookmarked the page so I can go back later, w/ more experience, & figure out what that means.

I have Nero 6 on the computer which will burn an iso image and includes the option of leaving off the .iso extension, which is what I'd think you'd do altho MS doesn't say so. What I don't know is if the windiag iso file created by the memory diagnostic tool includes the boot files. I'm thinking that it does because per the description the memory diagnostic interface loads automatically when you insert the CD. That suggests to me the iso image includes a sort of boot.ini file that loads the memory diagnostic as part of the boot process and that suggests the iso image contains the boot files.

If I have to use Nero to burn a boot CD and then burn the iso image I have to find my notes and do some more reading. At one point you had to first make a boot floppy in order to burn a boot cd. I read about it, I've just never done it - since I haven't figured out what to put on a bootable CD that would help troubleshoot an ntfs volume. Don't know if there's an easier way these days.

I thought someone would have run the windows memory diagnostic tool and would know how to burn the cd and maybe have some tips so I don't spend forever trying to run this one test. Maybe those in the know use other utilities to test their RAM.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

This link is specifically for Nero and may assist:

http://www.custompcblog.com/troubleshootin...ble-cd-iso-nero

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

No complicated program needed. Use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

That's referred to in Louis' link.

OP was asking questions about Nero, which she already has.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:40 PM

IMO, Nero is a bit more difficult to use to burn an .iso file to CD. I've done it before with Nero 6.6 and it's simply easier to use any of the applications which are developed for specifically burning .iso files to CD, IMO.

I've had Nero 6.6 for many years now and use it for many things, but I don't suggest if for burning .iso files to bootable CD.

Out of the array of programs provided at the link I suggested...there are many alternatives to simplicity.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

Thanks to everyone for replying

The instructions for using nero via the link provided by petewills were completely different than the instructions I went by that didn't work. Without that right click info I couldn't figure out how to get nero to open the iso file. nero's help manuals need some work.

In order to install imageburn, I'd have to uninstall nero, correct? Wouldn't two optical burning programs conflict? I mostly burn data discs and nero's option to exclude file types when dragging over folders has been a real time saver. [That's a rclick also, which took me forever to find since the manual said to do it differently] I've never had to burn an iso image before, which is why I don't know what I'm doing.

Apparently, from reading How to Create a Bootable CD ISO with Nero, burning the iso image correctly makes the disc boot into the memory diagnostic window. You don't have to somehow do a burn iso and make bootable cd settings combination. I haven't actually tried it yet because currently I'm in crisis mode - hard drive scans indicate I have a failing hd on the thinkpad, the computer I use the most. The burners on my desktop are currently busy burning bu discs from BUs on the external HD.

I was able to create a bootable windows memory diagnostic floppy on my desktop and run the memory test on it. I have instructions for creating a bootable cd from a bootable floppy using nero, which I was going to try next. When my burners are free I'm going to try both ways for the experience.

It took two days running the extended, no cache memory test from the floppy on 256 MB RAM. Don't know if it would run quicker from cd.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

In order to install imageburn, I'd have to uninstall nero, correct?

Not at all. You can have as many burning programs, as you want.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users