Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My heart goes out

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who face hurricane Katrina. After dealing with 90 mph winds 180 miles from the coast - from hurricane Hugo, I cannot imagine what 175 mph will be like. Take care and God bless.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:04 PM

i got an aunt and cousin who were recently moved to a shelter because of Katrina

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, New Orleans used to be a nice town. I here the mayor told the citizens to take a good look around at all the historic places and landmarks, cause you may not see them again. With N.O being 5 to 10 feet below sea level and a storm surge of 20 to 25 feet...they always said a worst case scenario would pretty much wipe out New Orleans and this may be it.

Hmm, the weatherman just said it has taken a turn to the north. N.O. may be spared the worst case, but it will still be bad and the folks in Mobile are now getting more worried. Let's pray that the storm will weaken some more and it doesn't turn into the worst storm on record as predicted.

I have about a dozen relatives AND their families that live in the path of the storm. Until the latest turn, the eye was due to hit around Houma, La. An uncle lives there and I did too for a few months.

I hope our intrepid moderator tg1911 is far enough west that he doesn't feel the brunt of the damage.

You know this is going to affect all of us. Oil just went up $4 a barell. Not only are all those off-shore wells due to be devasted, the refineries concentrated around south Louisiana have already shut down.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:18 PM

I'll say an extra prayer for your family members tonight.

Here is NWS radar for New Orleans. It also has a loop link on the right.

NWS NO - USA

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:42 PM

I don't think I'll catch too much of it here.
Just a lot of rain, and some wind.
Probably about like a strong summer storm.
But that depends on that front coming down from the west.
That's what's going to steer Katrina to the north, if it gets here soon enough.
For New Orleans' sake, I hope it does.
Another hour or two, and it'll be to late.
That'll put New Orleans on the east side of the storm, the bad side, with the biggest storm surge.
They're predicting 20-30 feet.
I'll probably be off-line, when the bad stuff hits, due to being on satellite internet.
It's just a matter of waiting to see, now.

Radar in my area:
( I'm just NorthEast of Lake Charles, where the little circle with the "+" sign in it, is.
Radar
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

Papakid I hope your family members will be safe during the storm. It sounds so scary. I just pray for everyone in it's path.

Stay safe tg1911.

Edited by Pandy, 28 August 2005 - 08:56 PM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

Papakid,
Has your LA family evacuated, or are they going to ride it out?

Thanks Pandy.
Will do.

Edited by tg1911, 28 August 2005 - 09:21 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:42 PM

The uncle in Houma is in Alexandria with his son, so he should be OK. I have an aunt on the Mississippi gulf coast, just east of the La. line that has gone to St. Francisville--I hope that's far enough west but am kind of worried. Then another uncle in Woodville, Miss.--just north of Baton Rouge. He's staying, and I hope that is far enough west too. But this thing is so massive, they are saying it will still be a category 4 up to around Natchez or Jackson.

My poor aunt may not have a house to go back to. Been a while since I've visited, but I remember looking around the Miss coast at damage from Camille that was still visible a decade later. And the foundation to the hotel where they had the huricane party.

Then I've got a few cousins that live around N.O. I imagine they've evacuated but don't know. And skads of cousins in and around Baton Rouge. Haven't heard from them.

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, that's the worst thing about this storm, it's size.
Camille was a Cat 4, but it's huricane force winds only spanned about 96 miles, where this one spans 205 miles.
It's going to be a bad one.
All we can do is prey for the one's in it's path, and hope for the best.

#10 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:25 PM

Having just recovered from Ivan in Pensacola, my heart and prayers go out to all in harm's way. I think putting 35,000 people in the superdome to ride this one out is folly. Only time will tell. I sure have a bad feeling about it.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:46 PM

putting 35,000 people in the superdome to ride this one out is folly

I feel the same way, gunner.

#12 Piney

Piney

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:14 AM

Prayers to all in the path and wake of this storm.

I understand the people placed in the superdome were those without a way to get out. Time will tell if the dome will stand as predicted.

My favorite talk host, Art Bell is going to be on the air all nite, rather than shut down at 1am PT, he plans to be on til 6am PT.

Please everyone stay safe!

Piney
Piney

Infected? Report it! <<<Click

Posted Image

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:24 AM

putting 35,000 people in the superdome to ride this one out is folly

I feel the same way, gunner.

Me too. Could be a death trap.

They were originally saying that the Superdome holds about 35,000 people but they could cram in an expected 100,000 by using the field. Now they're saying there is only 35,000 in there.

Is the elevation of the field 20 feet above sea level? Where are those people going to go if it's flooded?

One guy is saying that it will be six weeks at the earliest before the bathtub that N.O. is in will be pumped out and dry enough for anyone to return to the city. Those folks in the Superdome are the infirm, homeless or just don't have enough money to evacuate. What are they going to do for six weeks?

I'm hoping and praying for the best. But this looks to be a true catastrophy and I'm afraid there will be a massive loss of life that the US hasn't seen in some time. I hope not, but there are lots of low income folks living in mobile homes that haven't even tried going to the Superdome. And when has the president declared a state of emergency and come on TV to warn people before a storm has hit before?

The whole thing is really sad.

Ahh, Piney, didn't mean to step on your post. :thumbsup:

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#14 Piney

Piney

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:52 AM

tis ok Papakid, I only walk on one post anyway :thumbsup:
Piney

Infected? Report it! <<<Click

Posted Image

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 01:27 AM

LA Emergency Management is estimating 30-50 thousand casualties from this storm.
FEMA says 40-60 thousand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users