Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple announces the Apple iPad

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Today at the an event in San Francisco Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad. This is a tablet device weighing in at 1.5 pounds with a 9.7" LCD screen and a staggering 10 hour battery life.The iPad contains full compatibility with existing iPhone apps as well as new apps that were designed specifically with the large screen of the iPad in mind. Some of the apps displayed were a few games, iBook for digital books, and the iWork work suite. For more information see the live coverage at the link to Macworld.com below.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

I heard about it. Someone asked me about it, and I called it "An oversized iPod."

As I already have an iPod touch, its not really on my mind to purchase one, but I'm guessing they're gonna be pretty cool.

What I want to it do is connect to your laptop and use your computer remotely, at least within wifi distance.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

I don't know how many of you people are on twitter, but there have been some hilarious comments about the name. My favorite so far:

With a name like iPad I'm guessing we'll only use it one week a month and occasionally while we're sleeping.

#4 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

I kind of want one, but at the same time my money might be better spent on a laptop.

Can you really connect to your computer? That would be cool. But, again, why not just get a laptop.

#5 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

Another toy for people with more money than sense.

Not Internet capable. I.E. Doesnít support Flash.

I just bought two Acer Aspire 5517 for $350. each. They blow this nonsense from Jobs out of the water.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

Not Internet capable. I.E. Doesnít support Flash.

LOLWUT? Not Internet capable? What are you talking about?

#7 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

I think it is just another way for apple to make money im not going to spend my money on it.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

I just bought two Acer Aspire 5517 for $350. each. They blow this nonsense from Jobs out of the water.

I have an iPod Touch which will do most of what the iPad (minus 3g) does, and is pocketable, making it something I'm apt to carry around most of the time. I'd be needing a "man purse" to carry around either a iPad or one of the Acer's that you have.

Question I have for you - how well do videos, particularly movies, run on the 5517?

You are correct - neither the iPhone, iPod, or iPad supports Flash.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

I've decided I like them, Its just that they're a bit expensive and my iPod touch is fine enough for me right now. Maybe once I get out of college and I have a job for a few years. Hopefully they'll get flash on the iPad in a firmware update. Apple will be reluctant though, as they want to sell stuff through their App Store.

I think it is just another way for apple to make money im not going to spend my money on it.

Uh, anything some company puts out is to make money.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#10 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

LOLWUT? Not Internet capable? What are you talking about?

IMO: No Flash support = Not Internet capable

Flash is ubiquitous. I donít say thatís good or bad itís just a fact of life. Trying to browse the Internet without it would in many instances be frustrating if not impossible. YMMV

PS: I sent you a PM

Edited by Puppyite, 29 January 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#11 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

I'd be needing a "man purse" to carry around either a iPad or one of the Acer's that you have.

Or briefcase.

Question I have for you - how well do videos, particularly movies, run on the 5517?

All my computers play/rip/burn DVD movies perfectly. Online videos play fine with broadband. I use dialup but high speed access points are nearby. I donít subscribe to Netflix but with sufficiently fast connection I expect they would play well too. Like any laptop I recommend using headphones or external speakers.

Acer Aspire 5517 Specifications

You are correct - neither the iPhone, iPod, or iPad supports Flash.

Thatís amazing. I donít see how they can get along without it. For me it would be like buying a car without tires.

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

Not supporting Flash is not the same thing is not Internet capable, regardless of your opinion. Your information was not correct. Personally, I hate Flash laden sites, and have it disabled by default. I can assure you, my browsing experience is in no way 'impossible' or 'frustrating.'

#13 Guest_Puppyite_*

Guest_Puppyite_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

Not supporting Flash is not the same thing is not Internet capable, regardless of your opinion.

AFAIK forums are places where discussions take place and people state their opinions but Iím still new here so maybe thatís not true for this particular forum. As I said YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Your information was not correct.

Cnet has a different opinion.

iPod users have a different opinion too.

Personally, I hate Flash laden sites,Ö

I also dislike Flash when used to excess.

Ö and have it disabled by default.

This explains much.

I donít use it myself but what would YouTube be without Flash?

I can assure you, my browsing experience is in no way 'impossible' or 'frustrating.'

Glad to hear it. Can we move on now?

PS: This web site has impressive capabilities, did you write the software?

#14 carri

carri

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

I guess the fact the its bigger in size than the usual ipod and therefore has a larger screen; will appeal to some people who may have the cash (and are are happy to spend it on this item), and also who appreciate a larger screen. Time will tell if this is a step further in this type of technology. and will truely offer an option that actually will be taken up by the comsumer in the same way as the ipod.

Edited by carri, 29 January 2010 - 10:51 AM.

Posted Image
Hug someone today and get on their nerves!

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

As I said YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

No, you didn't say that until I pointed out your error. And yes we do discuss opinions, but not when opinion is presented as fact. Which you did.

That is an opinion.

Not Internet capable.

That is a misrepresentation of facts.

Do me a favor. Show me where Cnet (or the fan forums) support your assertion that the iPd is not Internet capable, because that is the statement I took issue with, and that is what we are talking about. The limitations of the device are not. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users