Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking over the Torpig botnet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mcmc

mcmc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hey all

I'm new here, but I've enjoyed this topic for awhile. Not sure if any have you have read about this, but it's pretty interesting. Almost controversial in my opinion.

Background

Botnets, networks of malware-infected machines that are controlled by an adversary, are the root cause of a large number of security threats on the Internet. A particularly sophisticated and insidious type of bot is Torpig, a malware program that is designed to harvest sensitive information (such as bank account and credit card data) from its victims.

At the beginning of 2009, we took control of the Torpig botnet for ten days. Over this period, we observed more than 180 thousand infections and recorded more than 70 GB of data that the bots collected.

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~seclab/projects/torpig/

Edit:

Here's the original article that lead me to find the research study. Their presentation is listed as well. http://www.catonmat.net/blog/how-to-steal-...t=Google+Reader

Edited by mcmc, 27 January 2010 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

Thank you mcmc. I have read all that and I wonder why some one do that. Are they making money in some way? Maybe I guess I'm not crooked enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users