Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copyright issues?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

ok my site offers free programs. most of them have a GPL (general public lisence) and that means i can give these programs away, and even change them as long as they continue to be free. i dont have the skills to change them, and if i did i doubt id change them, but i do want to give them away.

well my problem is that some of my programs might have copyright issues, before i give out the link i want to know if anyone can help me. if so than i will PM you the link, i konw that i fixed some of the copyright issues, and im not sure if there are any more (i fixed my "fix it programs" so there ok now).

i will provide a link to the programs offical website (not cnet or sorceforuge) and take the program off if it is bad. i would really like some help, and i hope and i can get it.

thank you, and please dont ban me for posting this =) lol
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

I don't want a link to your site and I'm not a lawyer. But here is some information that might help you figure out whats legal or not. Copyrights And You, (Or: how not to get sued)

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

Generally speaking, it's best to avoid offering downloads to any media not released under a free license (like the GPL, Creative Commons, Apache, etc.) without permission from the author. Many freeware authors grant such permission, though some do not. It's best to actually read the license that accompanies the software beforehand.

#4 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

ok thanks, i didnt want to post a link as a just incase. im pretty sure that every thing is good now, but i want to make sure.

thanks so much for your help, and ill look at that link asap
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users