Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is RAM being recognized?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

Hi all!

I just made a upgrade to my computer. I bought a 2gb stick of corsair RAM. Previously I had a 1gb stick of RAM in the computer. I ran the corsair utility to tell me what RAM would work, and it gave me one option. That is the option I went with.

Now that the RAM has been installed, here is what is happening:

Google Earth won't load. It seems to crash every time I try Loading it.
I tried opening Adobe Photoshop CS4 once, and my entire computer crashed.
When I click "My computer->properties" it says I only have 1.96 GB of RAM instead of 3.
When I run CPUZ, it sees both sticks of RAM in their proper places, and tells me I have 3 GB of RAM installed.

Anybody know the discrepancy between Windows and CPUZ? Also, any thoughts about the sudden instability of my system?

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3, 32 bit.

Thanks!
Trev

Edited by trevzilla, 27 January 2010 - 02:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

So, I ran some diagnostics on the memory, and when I had both memory sticks installed I continued to get errors. So I ran MemTest86 on each individual piece of RAM and they worked fine individually. I then plugged the new RAM into the slot the old one WAS plugged into, and the old one into the previously empty slot. . .

It seems as if my computer is running stably now, however windows only recognizes that 2GB is installed. (My Computer->properties says 2GB)
But the bios sees all 3GB still.

Do you think it is simply a problem with the two sticks not being compatible with each other? Or is there some type of bios setting, or windows setting that I have to enable so that Windows will utilize the rest of my Memory?

Once again, thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Trevor

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

What is printed on each module?

All RAM modules are not compatible and some will only display 1/2 of the capacity when paired with certain motherboards.

Samples of Such.

Louis

#4 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

Well, I took a screenshot of what I am seeing. Hopefully this will help. I have four instances of CPU-Z running, each with what I thought would be the most useful tabs selected. I also opened my systems properties for your viewing pleasure. Hopefully that can tell you "what is printed on the module" as I didn't really understand what you were referring to when asking that.

I've also read in another forum that Windows reads your memory AFTER it allocates some memory to the video card. Therefore if you have a 1gb video card, and 3gb ram, windows will only show 2gb of ram. Is this true? Could this be my problem? If so how do I check up on my video card? (I haven't tried googling that yet, I'm sure it'll be easy to check my video card specs. . .)

Attached Files

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

There should be labels...on each module, identifying what it is and, often, manufacturer. That's what I was referring to.

In any case, it appears to me that you have high-density RAM with the Hynix module (hymp512u64bp8), while the Crucial is low-density...but I'm not sure.

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.forum.crucial.com/t5/Standard-D...EEA9555B40E079A

Appears to me that you have no issues re recognition. My Computer/Properties displays a net number...to see how much is actually installed and recognized, just use Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter. If you see 3GB listed for Total Physical Memory in right column, it's good.

You have onboard video and other functions deducting from the Total Physical Memory to arrive at the figure shown at My Computer/Properties.

Louis

#6 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:56 PM

Thank you so much for the help you are offering and your willingness in helping me solve this issue. Here are the latest updates:

I typed msinfo32 into the Run window, and it says the following:

Total Physical Memory 2,048MB
Available Physical Memory 1.15GB

Apparently it IS only recognizing the 2GB then.

So, the way I see it then, is it seems that I may have just purchased incompatible RAM then eh? Crap. Well, I read that link you put up, and I am wondering if you are suggesting retuning my memory module (or simply taking out my old module and just selling it I suppose.)

Either way, does it officially sound like the two memory sticks are incompatible?

Trevor
(P.S. My computer crashed on me again last night after I thought it had gone stable. Guess I was wrong about that part)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

<<Either way, does it officially sound like the two memory sticks are incompatible?>>

I can't tell without seeing them, testing them.

The problem with Memtest is that it doesn't necessarily pinpoint what is wrong. An error can be produced by motherboard/CPU settings or the RAM module or the RAM socket itself. If the user isn't willing to experiment and find out just where the key criterion might lie...it's all just guesswork, IMO.

If the 2GB is reflected as 2GB by itself...and the 1 GB is reflected as 1GB by itself....yet together they reflect 2GB...based on what I've read I'd have to guess that one is high-density and being recognized at half-capacity.

You only need to use msinfo32 to see whether XP is properly recognizing RAM installed....those other utilities are great for other uses.

Louis

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:50 PM

Look closely at the memory timings. There are two different timings for the 266 setting. Only the CAS 4 setting is the same on both modules. Manually setting them the to the CAS 4 setting could eliminate your problem. What is the make and model of you Dell? I see you are using DDR2 does it support dual channel? In that case the mismatched memory could be why you only see 2 MB as it can only interleave on the smallest memory size. This could also be causing your various crashes.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Aaahhhh...I knew someone knowledgeable would come to the rescue :thumbsup:.

Appreciated, sir :flowers:.

Louis

#10 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, Baltboy!

So, the make and Model of my Dell is a Dell Optiplex 320. (I know, not the best computer, but I was able to get it cheap. . .it's better than what I had. ;) )
I have somewhat "frankencomputered" it though. I've added a second video card, changed out some hard drives, etc. But the basics of it are what comes standard.

As far as the rest of your questions go though, I might need a little more help with them. How would I manually set the CAS settings? Would that be a bios tweak? As far as the Motherboard supporting Dual Channel is concerned, I also have no idea. I do know that it only has two slots for the Memory, and not four. I would suppose that means it doesn't support Dual Channel, but again, I'm kinda illiterate when it comes to Memory.

Finally, on another note, I have recently simply removed my old stick of RAM and been running the computer no problem on the new stick for a day or two with absolutely no crashes.

I'll definitely try manually setting the CAS settings, but if that doesn't work, it looks like I may just be selling my old stick of RAM.

Thanks once again for all the help! And if you do have more ideas, (or want to talk me through setting the CAS settings) I'm all ears!

Trevor

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

Okay now that I have the info I need here is the deal... Your PC supports DDR2 in two different speeds 553 and 667. According to Dell if you are using two memory modules they should be the same size or it will reduce your system performance. After going back to look at your picture from the earlier post I see you have two problems. First the two different sizes of memory are going to cause your system performance and stability issues. Second and most important (something I didn't notice before) you are using two DIFFERENT memory speeds! :flowers: The original 1 GB stick is 553 and the newer 2GB stick is 667. That is why the timings are different and the system is unstable. Keep using the 2 GB memory and add another 2 GB of the same exact memory and your system will purr like a kitten :thumbsup:
Mark Twain

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:47 PM

Using the two differing speeds (533/667) is not a problem since the system supports each.

Combining RAM modules with differing speeds...eliminates the positive effects of dual-channeling...but it does not create stability problems inherently on the system, since both modules are compatible with the motherboard. The system will run at the lower speed and the effect of having a higher speed module will be meaningless.

I don't know a lot about this but I think that the different timings would be a more important consideration re stability.

I had an earlier system with a system problem like this...I found that I could run the modules together without problems...by adjusting the BIOS RAM speed down one notch.

Louis

#13 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

I have seen this opinion about speeds several times here in the forum. While in theory this should work in the real world application I have seen nothing but problems. Single channel computers tend to have more success since the modules are independently reading and writing. In Dual channel systems this wreaks havoc regardless of the fact that it "should" work it just doesn't with any reliablity. Besides timings and latency are based on the memory speeds which is what they want to default to anyhow.
Mark Twain

#14 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Well, thank you again for all the help! I have to admit that just with the simple act of removing my old stick of RAM and sticking with the new one, my system already seems to purr like a kitten! I can't imagine the performance increase when I get a second stick of the new stuff too. I think I will though, due to your recommendations.

On a side note. . .I have an 1gb stick of RAM for sale now. Any takers? ;)

Thanks!
Trevor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users