Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I had a worm virus in my Hotmail - do I need an anti virus for my Macbook to clear it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flostan

flostan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

In the last few days my Hotmail account was hijacked and emails were sent to my entire address book containing a malicious link. This worm virus deleted my contacts and changed junk email filter settings etc

I have a new macbook which as far as I'm aware doesn't have any anti virus software:

Will this worm virus have infected my computer?

Do I need to run an antivirus to clear it from my hotmail? Am I still sharing my hotmail account with the spammer?

If I do need to do any of the above, which software should I use? Is any of it free of charge?

Apologies if some of my questions are stupid I'm not very techy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Francisck

Francisck

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:29 AM

If it was a worm for windows I would not be worried about getting it on your mac, if you feel that you absolutely need anti virus software for your mac you can use this free software: http://www.clamxav.com/index.php?page=dl, also have you changed your password yet?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

Is the Mac attached to a router?
Reset the router and give it a strong password
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

I agree there is not to much to worry with a virus attacking a mac. I practily dip mine in a virus on windows to see what happens.

Its just that a Virus on Windows computers are developed in a different language then Mac. Mac's are Objective-C programing while programing for Windows is C Sharp. So if you introduce a virus from Windows to Mac the language will not understand it.
However that is just my opinion and not a fact I think :blink:

#5 Marusa

Marusa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

You can use firewall. I can advise ProteMac NetMine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users