Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files dissapear

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

I've had this happen a couple of times, at first I thought I did something.

Example, the other day I was looking for an address of an old friend, I couldn't find it, but knew I had it on an envelope file from Print Shop. It was on my F drive so I went looking for it and found it. When I double clicked on it, windows 7 showed it as gobledy gook for the address. I tried to use Microsoft word, but that didn't work either. Then it hit me, this is Print Shop! So I opened Print Shop, and now the envelope file is gone, completely missing from my computer. I still had the window which showed the file open, and it was gone from there and I can't find it anywhere.

Anybody else having this problem? Any ideas what's going on? :huh:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Not sure why it disappeared, but the file is still there, even if you can't see it.

Try using Recuva to recover the "deleted" file. Make sure you do not try to recover files to the same drive you are recovering them from, as you risk overwriting them before recovering them entirely.

As for why Windows Explorer can't see the files anymore, I don't know. But Recuva should be able to find them and restore them. Even if a file was "deleted", the only way it would be unrecoverable would be if you used a file shredding program to obliterate it (or it was overwritten with new data). Otherwise, it is simply marked as "free space". Recuva can recover these "deleted files" in case you want them back. Just make sure you do it before writing new data to the disk.

Let me know how it goes. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Ninja, I tried my recovery program, then I went out and got Recova, neither one found it. I have no idea what happened to it. I've not installed or copied anything to that drive. Oh well, what can I say? :huh:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

Well then, I have absolutely no idea. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Just a thought, do you use Ccleaner?

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:30 AM

Yes, I do. But not when the files disappeared. I was trying to open them, windows would'nt do it, and they just went away.... :huh:
Ronald Reagan

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

Maybe somehow when you opened the application, the file got marked as hidden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users