Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:26 AM
Ugh, I have it bad. The fake Malaware Defender pop ups started last week but I think the actual problem lies in H8SRT/TDSS somewhere. and I followed some preliminary removal attempts. Having only minor success, I am turning to the pros here and will be grateful for any and all advice you may have.
- IE launching in the background
- Redirecting google searches
- Porn icons on my desktop
- Computer freezing and pretty much inoperable unless I'm in safe mode
- When booting normally, it will either get to a point and freeze/lock up, or show a black, blank screen. I swear I can almost hear someone laughing at my misery.
- Windows XP Pro SP2
What I've done so far:
- Ran Malware Bytes - Had some trouble getting it to run, had to rename it, took a few tries but it did eventually run. I haven't seen the Malaware Defender pop ups since then.
- Ran Root Repeal - Log shows a variety of H8SRT instances under Hidden/Locked files, Stealth Objects, and Hidden Services. Particularly,
Service Name: H8SRTd.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\H8SRTeppuwoodpt.sys
I'm eager to get started and appreciate your attention. Thank you, thank you, thank you.