Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC dies at startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:09 AM

I have built a new PC using an Antec Three hundred cabinet, ASUS m/b, Thermaltake 680W Pure power p/s and 4 320Gb discs among other things. When I press the ON button the fans start spinning and then it dies after 1-2 seconds and I can hear a little click sound. It is probably a automatic fuse. This is naturally difficult to diagnose but does anyone out there have a clue as to what it might be. 680W of power should be plenty, I think.
United we stand, divided we fall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

Sounds to me like an unintentional ground. You can remove components one at a time, attempting to boot after removing each component until the system stays running.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...54.htm#overload

Electrical Short or Overload
An electrical short or overload may cause a system not to boot.

Check for shorts and overloads by removing non-essential items such as extra controller cards or IDE/ATAPI devices. Keep only the desktop board, power supply, memory and processor installed. If the system boots, it is possible there is a short or overload with one of the components that you removed or one of those components is faulty. Replace each of non-essential items one at a time until you isolate which one is causing the problem.

If the problem occurs even after removing the non-essential components, the problem has to be with the desktop board, power supply, memory or processor.

#3 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

I removed all 4 discs, Samsung Spinpoint HD322HJ 320Gb, and it booted and the boot menu came up. I powered it down, connected one of the discs and tried again and it came up again. I continued with a second disc and then it died. Tried with disc #1 and #3 - died, #1 and #4 - died. I then tried with disc #1 again and it died - which worked first time!? I disconnected the last disc again and tried and it died even now but after 3-5 seconds. Back to square one. Does this sound like a power supply issue? The discs are new, graphics card is new and the m/b M2N32-SLI is new.

#4 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:45 AM

It sounds to me like the power supply can't handle the load. But it could also be the power circuit on the MOBO. I would plug each drive in one at time into ide or sata 1, boot each time you swap, to verify the drives aren't the problem. If the drives all test good then move one of them down the line, ide or sata 2, 3, and 4. Booting after each move. This will tell you if the HDD power circuit of the MOBO is faulty. That is about all I can think of besides replacing the Power Supply with a known good one. There are power supply testers available but they only verify the voltage of the different circuits.

#5 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

Yes, I think I could try it over once more. I forgot to mention that my PSU is a ThermalTake PurePower 680W W-0049 revision 1. I have found a lot of criticism of this version. Revision 2 is very good but mine is basically junk. Bad luck.

#6 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

I would contact thermaltake and see what they say about your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users